Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-e020us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I can upgrade my PC to either the Intel Core i7-4712MQ CPU or the AMD A10-5750M CPU, and I am unsure which I should choose.  Below are the pros and cons of each: 

• i7-4712MQ
    • 4 Cores
    • Hyperthreading
    • 6 MB SmartCache
    • Base Clock 2.3 GHz
    • Turbo 3.3 GHz
    • Intel HD Graphics 4600 
    • Intel Virtualization Technology
  • A10-5750M
    • 4 Cores
    • No Hyperthreading
    • 4 MB L2 Cache
    • Base Clock 2.5 GHz
    • Turbo 3.5 GHz
    • Radeon HD 8650G Graphics
    • AMD-V Virtualization Technology

The main things to note here are that the i7 has hyperthreading and more cache while the A10 has a slightly higher clock speed.  I am unsure which is better graphics; all I know is that Radeon is known to be a better brand than Intel's HD Graphics. 

I mention which virtualization technology is included because one of the main things I will be doing on the PC is developing Windows Store apps with Microsoft Visual Studio; to do this, I need to be able to simultaneously run mobile emulators and tablet emulators to test my app on.  So far, I have only had experience with Intel Virtualization Technology.  Would it make a difference if I switch to AMD-V?  Which do you reccomend? 

So, in conclusion, which would you choose spec-wise?  I would really appreciate it if you could also give me your opinion on graphics performance and the virtualization technologies as well.

Thanks very much to all who answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So you already know your i3-3110M is soldered to the motherboard and you are planning to replace the whole motherboard with a socketed model and the processor? Have you thoroughly investigated the cost? Both the Intel and AMD motherboards can have discrete graphics and if you are replacing the motherboard anyways there is no reason not to go for the gusto and get the best board and processor. So comparing the integrated video of the two processors is kind of beside the point. And if the VMs are the reason you are doing this you obviously want to max out the memory and get a solid state drive for best performance. But by the time you do all that you can get a new laptop, I fear. 

On the Intel side I am seeing the top processor as the i7-4702MQ, by the way. 

Manual

If it comes down to Intel vs. AMD the answer is Intel all day long, unless price is an object in which case AMD can be made to be OK in a pinch. The Intel does everything better than AMD, including virtualization. 

Post back with any more questions. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

So you already know your i3-3110M is soldered to the motherboard and you are planning to replace the whole motherboard with a socketed model and the processor? Have you thoroughly investigated the cost? Both the Intel and AMD motherboards can have discrete graphics and if you are replacing the motherboard anyways there is no reason not to go for the gusto and get the best board and processor. So comparing the integrated video of the two processors is kind of beside the point. And if the VMs are the reason you are doing this you obviously want to max out the memory and get a solid state drive for best performance. But by the time you do all that you can get a new laptop, I fear. 

On the Intel side I am seeing the top processor as the i7-4702MQ, by the way. 

Manual

If it comes down to Intel vs. AMD the answer is Intel all day long, unless price is an object in which case AMD can be made to be OK in a pinch. The Intel does everything better than AMD, including virtualization. 

Post back with any more questions. 

HP Recommended

Thanks; I was leaning towards the Intel model, too.

I saw that the i7-4712MQ was not in the manual as a supported processor, while the i7-4702MQ was.  After comparing them, I found that the only difference between the two processors is their names, release dates, and clock speeds (same socket, same power usage, same technologies, same graphics, etc.); you can view the comparison here: http://ark.intel.com/compare/75119,78933.  And since the i7-4712MQ's clock speed was a bit higher, I would go with that one.

I already have 16 GB of RAM and an SSD, so the processor is the only thing that seems to slow the VMs.

Although going for the Intel chip is a few hundred dollars more expensive than the AMD, I would definetley spend the extra money for the perforamnce of the processor.

My only question is with purchasing the new heat sink (I have a supply for the processor / motherboard).  Since it is not available from the HP PartStore, do you know of any place where I  can get the right one?  I am not seeing it on eBay or Amazon.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You can't just "go with" a different processor. if it is not listed in the Manual there is maybe a 10% chance it will work regardless of how similar the specs seem to be. 

I looked at the fan/heatsink and do you need this one?

For use only on computer models equipped with an Intel processor and a graphics subsystem with discrete memory 719862-001

I also did a quick look and came up short. I think you may have to call some of the HP partners:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Part_Resellers.aspx?mscssid=51FD11C9D50840DB9CB35CC760C41271&geo_code=N...

This is one of the limitations on trying to upgrade an older system. Sometimes there were not very many of the very high end components ever made and a couple years down the line they just are not in the pipeline. You may find that a new laptop is a better option after all. 

HP Recommended

OK; thanks!

It may be a while (several months maybe) until I actually do this, but I'll let you know what I will do!

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.