Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15 u-010dx 360 Touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
My laptop is receiving an error page that states : internal battery error 601, may need to be replaced.

I have had the laptop for under a year,and would like to know if this would be covered under a warranty of some kind or how do I need to go about getting this fixed?

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 601 error is actually a little misleading - it actually refers to your notebooks main lithium ion battery and not the rtc ( cmos ) cell on the system board as it seems to suggest.  It generally starts to appear when the LiOH battery charge capacity has fallen below 25% of its original value.  Further details on this can be found on the following HP Document.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443470

The battery will be covered under the same term as your notebook, so just contact HP and arrange to have it replaced  - if needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 601 error is actually a little misleading - it actually refers to your notebooks main lithium ion battery and not the rtc ( cmos ) cell on the system board as it seems to suggest.  It generally starts to appear when the LiOH battery charge capacity has fallen below 25% of its original value.  Further details on this can be found on the following HP Document.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443470

The battery will be covered under the same term as your notebook, so just contact HP and arrange to have it replaced  - if needed, you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Just replaced the internal battery, which was expensive and a huge pain in the ***. Don't miss the two screws hidden under the back rubber cushions, and the other two hidden under sharp thin plastic case-colored stickers.

Battery replaced

Sorry to say that it does turn orange for a short while, but then I'm still receiving the flashing white LED by the charging port, and my Envy tells me there's no battery installed (even though it will actually RUN ON BATTERY for a few minutes). 

This is obviously a design flaw and defect. We've had several customers who are angry at us because we cannot fix it. I suspect HP cannot fix this either - something is obviously ary with the charging circuitry. As a matter of fact, this computer never held a charge from day one. We'd leave it sleep for a day, fully charged, and come back to find it shut down completely. Should have submitted a warranty claim then.

Owner/operator of Computer Care Clinic in Melbourne FL, host of YouTube tech channel
HP Recommended

Here's the YouTube video of our teardown. It isn't pretty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4243b9HFo

Owner/operator of Computer Care Clinic in Melbourne FL, host of YouTube tech channel
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am facing similar issue. How can i buy new battery? what is the cost?.. can any one give me link/source from when i can get new battery?

Help needed urgently

Thanks

Hitesh

HP Recommended

HI,

I am facing similary issue.

Can you let meknow from where i can buynew battery? what is the cost? Source/Link from where i can buy.

Help needed

Thanks

Hitesh

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the forum. Could you please confirm how much you paid for the battery and where you found it. Also, is it still working or there is a problem with the computer in general. I would really apreciate your reply in this regard. 

Have a great week!

Regards, 

Diego

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.