Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-ay195nr laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased this computer yesterday 11-26-2016. It is the

HP 15-ay195nr  Laptop, 15.6" Screen, Intel® Core™ i5, 7th generation, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows® 10 Home.

I think it is a new model and I haven't been able to find much information about it.

The system settings in the control panel show four processors but I'm not sure it is a quad core because I thought most laptops are only duel cores. Is this a i5 7th generation quad core or a duel core?

The system has 8 gbytes of Ram. Can you upgrade  the Ram and to how much?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's a Kaby Lake (7th gen) DDR4 system. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This says it is for the 15-ay099 and below but still applies to your model as well. The i5-7200U is a dual core and the processor is soldered to the board. 

You see 4 processors because it is 2 cores but each core is hyperthreaded so makes 4 virtual cores out of 2 physical cores. If your processor were a quad you would see 8 processors in device manager. 

DDR4-2133 dual channel support (DDR4-2400 bridge to DDR4-2133) Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

So you could install 16 gigs in 2 x 8 gig DDR4-2133 chips. Likely your laptop has one chip (module) so you would just need to add another. I say "just" but it is a pretty technical job. Let us know if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Memory
2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots
Supports dual-channel memory
DDR3L-1600-MHz

Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following
configurations:

16384-MB total system me
mory (8192×2; not supported
on a 32-bit operating system)

12288-MB total system memory (8192×1 + 4096×1; not
supported on a 32-bit operating system)

8192-MB total system memory (8192×1 or 4096×2)

6144-MB total system memory (4096×1 + 2048×1; not
supported on a 32-bit operating system)

4096-MB total system memory (4096×1 or 2048×2)

2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, it might support DDR3 as you say but it lists as DDR4-2133MHz which is a lot better than DDR3.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you tell us from where did you find this information DDR4-2133MHz !

Please share if you have any HP document.

Also share the PRODUCT NUMBER of your PC to help you.

As the per HP 15 Notebook PC Service Guide it only tells us about only DDR3 and not DDR4

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04341736

PAGE 9 AND 10

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I found it under several different spots including where I purchased it from Office Depot. From this web site:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/274674/HP-15-ay195nr-Laptop-156-Screen/

Here it can be seen under product details section below under Memory Type:

It makes sense because it just came on the market in November 2016.

Description

Great for work and entertainment, this laptop offers a crisp, clear 15.6" HD display and an HDMI™ port. Bluetooth® technology lets you wirelessly connect to an array of devices. The laptop comes with a massive hard drive to store your files.

• 15.6" HD SVA BrightView display with a WLED backlight.  1366 x 768 resolution presents images and videos in vivid clarity.
  • Powered by a 7th Gen Intel Core i5 processor for robust speed.  Enjoy seamless multitasking while your work and play.
  • 8GB of memory is available to run your go-to apps, programs and games. 
  • 1TB hard drive provides plenty of storage space for your photos, music and files. 
  • Wireless (802.11a/b/g/n) connectivity promotes rapid, cable-free networking.  Wired networking is also supported via 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN connection.
  • SuperMulti DVD burner allows you to play and burn DVDs. 
  • Features a USB 3.1 port for rapid data transfers.  Also includes 2 USB 2.0 ports for added connectivity.
  • HP TrueVision HD webcam with a microphone lets you video chat with friends or conference with colleagues, even in dim light. 
  • Bluetooth® wireless technology allows you to pair the laptop with a variety of enabled devices. 
  • HDMI port lets you view videos and photos on your HDTV. (HDMI cable is sold separately.) 
  • Remains powered for up to 9 hours between charges.  Battery life will vary depending on the product configuration, product model, applications loaded on the product, power management setting of the product, and the product features used by the customer. As with all batteries, the maximum capacity of this battery will decrease with time and usage.
  • Runs on the Windows 10 Home operating system. 
  • Backed by the manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty. 
  • Intel, the Intel Logo, Intel Inside, the Intel Inside logo, Intel Core, Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium and Pentium Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. 
  • Eco-conscious choice — has one or more meaningful eco-attributes or eco-labels. 
  • ENERGY STAR certified — meets federal guidelines for energy efficiency. 
  • EPEAT Silver certified — reduced environmental impact from multiple eco-attributes. Ranked in three tiers: Bronze, Silver or Gold. 

Product Details

Item # 274674  OfficeMax # 25499283 Manufacturer # Z4L78UA#ABA  
2 in 1 no brand name HP color turbo silver front camera/webcam Yes gaming PC no hard drive capacity 1 TB hard drive type hard drive integrated speakers yes laptop battery life range 8 hours (or more) manufacturer Hewlett-Packard maximum battery life 9 hours
maximum memory capacity 8 GB Maximum Turbo Speed 3.1 GHz memory 8 GB memory card reader no memory type DDR4 SDRAM model Z4L78UA#ABA modem no modem numeric keypad yes operating system details Windows 10 Home Operating Systems Windows 10 optical drive DVD±RW peripherals included none ports 1 USB 3.1; 2 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45 processor brand Intel processor model Core i5-7200U processor speed 2.5 GHz processor type Intel Core i5 Product Condition new Product Line 15-ay195nr screen resolution 1366 x 768 screen size 15.6 in. Touchscreen No warranty length 1-year limited weight 4.73 lb wired connectivity 10/100 Ethernet wireless connectivity 802.11a/b/g/n

HP Recommended

The Memory Type is also mentioned on the following web site under Ram Type:

http://impressivenotebook.com/hp-15-ay195nr-z4l78uaaba-15-6-screen-laptop-review/

You’ll find an impressive fast performance for a reasonable price with the HP 15-ay195nr (Z4L78UA#ABA) is a high-performance that backed by the latest 7th gen Intel Core i5-7200U CPU, 8GB DDR4 RAM and a 1TB hard drive. This means the device is perfect for your productivity, heavy multitasking and creating large projects.

At only 4.73 pounds, the system is portable, and you also get over 9 hours of battery life on a full charge. That means you can work and play throughout all day without needing to charge.

Fast performance
You can expect the performance of the HP 15-ay195nr for handling heavy-duty tasks, creating big projects, streaming HD videos or even general use with the latest Intel Core i5-7200U CPU. The CPU was designed to you get both speed and energy efficient.

High-bandwidth 8GB of DDR4 memory is available, which allows to run the most demanding software and complex programs and even play games smoothly without a hitch.

A massive 1TB hard drive lets you can store many files without worry. There’s a built-in DVD drive for enjoying high-quality movies, listening to CDs and writing your data to discs.

Display
The HP 15-ay195nr features a 15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) display with BrightView technology, so you get high-quality images and brilliant details in a 16:9 widescreen format that makes it great enough for viewing high-definition photos and watching movies. Outstanding graphics performance are provided by Intel HD Graphics 620 to ensure the system has the power enough for 1080p video playback, moderate gaming, graphics design tasks and internet use.

The built-in stereo speakers and DTS Sound lets you listen to music and watch movies with impressive audio.

Fast connection
Up to 2x faster than USB 3.0 with the latest USB 3.1 port for extremely fast data transfers along with two USB 2.0 ports.

It also has an Ethernet LAN port supports up to 100Mbps, 802.11/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, SD card reader slot, HDMI port, and audio jack.

A full size with 10-keypad but without backlight.

Runs on Windows 10 Home operating system operates on 64-bit for smooth multitasking performance.

Technical Specifications

Type Laptop PC

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU 7th Gen Intel Core i5-7200U (2 cores, 4 threads)

CPU features 3MB cache and 2.5GHZ, Up to 3.1GHz

RAM 8GB Memory

RAM Type DDR4-2133MHz

Hard Drive 1 TB HDD

Hard Drive RPM 5400RPM

Optical Drive DVD R/W drive

Cloud storage

Display 15.6\” Diagonal

Display features HD SVA BrightView

Resolution 1366 x 768

Touchscreen None

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 620

Graphics Memory Shared video memory

Audio features Stereo Speakers with DTS Sound

Camera HP TrueVision HD webcam

USB Port 1 USB 3.1, 2 USB 2.0

HDMI Port 1x HDMI port

Media reader SD card reader

Wireless 802.11/b/g/n Wi-Fi

Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0

LAN 10/100Mbps Ethernet

Pointing Device Touchpad

Keyboard Full size with 10-keypad

Audio Port combo audio port

Battery 4-cell Lithium-ion

Battery Life Up to 9 hours

Weight 4.73 lb

Dimension (HWD)

Color turbo silver

HP Recommended

It's a Kaby Lake (7th gen) DDR4 system. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This says it is for the 15-ay099 and below but still applies to your model as well. The i5-7200U is a dual core and the processor is soldered to the board. 

You see 4 processors because it is 2 cores but each core is hyperthreaded so makes 4 virtual cores out of 2 physical cores. If your processor were a quad you would see 8 processors in device manager. 

DDR4-2133 dual channel support (DDR4-2400 bridge to DDR4-2133) Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

So you could install 16 gigs in 2 x 8 gig DDR4-2133 chips. Likely your laptop has one chip (module) so you would just need to add another. I say "just" but it is a pretty technical job. Let us know if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.