Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15 ay-035nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to all,

I hope someone can help me:

I have an HP laptop 15-ay 035nl and I bought a Samsung SSD 850 evo and a caddy to replace DVD reader with the HDD mounted on the laptop.

What have I done:

- SSD has been put in place of the HDD, caddy was not in. I installed Windows 10 and everything was great

- I replaced the DVD  with caddy with inside the HDD and here the problems started because: beginning the disk was not recognized, then I mounted again and had to wait a lifetime before it could be recognized by windows.

When it was recognized I tried to format it from windows but I could just delete partitions.  I had 500 gb of unallocated space.

- At this point, I swapped the two hard drives putting the SSD in the caddy and the HDD inside the laptop. Windows did not start, not only appeared a blue screen saying there was a hardware failure. When I put the SSD within the pc windows it had been corrupted and I had to reinstall windows  again. Same problem happened also when I disconnected the HDD from the motherboard and there was just SSD in the  caddy.

- At this point I put the SSD in the laptop and the HDD again in the caddy.  I could not get  to format the HDD neither instal windows on SSD getting the error 80300024. Once I removed the caddy I was able to install windows on the SSD

Now I am very confused because I do not know if the problem is the caddy itself or the DVD controller on the motherboard. Can someone help me?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hi,

This is what I suggest:
Replace HDD with SSD.

Take out HDD temporarily

Install Windows into SSD, boot into it

Connect HDD to notebook using SATA to USB adapter, format it competely using 3rd party tools. Make it storage only void of any old residual system files

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

Then put back HDD to ODD caddy

Restart system

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried as you suggested and I was able to format the HDD. When I connected to the laptop via the caddy it was recognized by Windows nevertheless it doesn't work well because it is constantly at 100% of its capacity even if I don't used it at all.

I tried to perform a disk check througn the Western Digital utility and it failed.

It often happens that the disk cannot be accessed as well as the windows is very very slow.

At this point I don't know what may be the issue: the caddy or the laptop which cannot bear the second HD?

I am very confused.

HP Recommended

You've to change out ODD hard drive caddy to see if that is what causing this issue.

Else it may be the board ODD controller or hard drive issue itself

HP Recommended

BIG PROBLEM!!!
I also faced this kind of same issue on hp 15 ay516tx
laptop. Can anyone tell me, what next should I have to do?
Please fix it.
Contact at:
[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Hi, I HAD the same problem.

Was solved installing the Rapid Storage Technology Drivers. It updates the ATA/ATAPI IDE Controller

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.