Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dv7-6b32us laptop.  Intel CORE i7.  Windows 7.  Nothing added but printer drivers and nothing lately.  Yesterday morning keyboard worked fine.  Last night the J K L ; were not working.  Cleaned under keys.  Then enter key not working.  Have reloaded drivers.  The enter key on number pad does work ok.  I hooked up a USB keyboard and everything works normally with it.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey ModernMode,

That's the spirit! Silver linings FTW!

You are correct. You can replace the keyboard by following the same guide which will also give you the part number for they keyboard so you can order it online.

You can also contact HP Phone Support to order the keyboard, or set up service for them to fix it for you. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Thanks for using the HP Forums! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hello @ModernMode ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the "J" "K" "L" ";"  and "Enter" keys no longer work on your notebook keyboard, even after reinstalling drivers.

I would be inclined to believe this is a hardware issue. You can try reseating the keyboard by following this guide: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide. The steps start on page 59, and are quite easy to follow. This will not void your warranty.

If reseating the connection does not work you can also try removing the keyboard layouts and readded English-US:

1. Click Start 
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Clock, Language, and Region
  4. Click Region and Language
  5. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab
  6. Click Change keyboards...
  7. On the General tab, make sure English (United States) - US is selected in the Default input language field.
  8. Click on any other keyboards in the Installed services list
  9. Click Remove
  10. Repeat for all other non-English (United States) keyboards.

Once this is done, add a new keyboard (anything other than English United States), and remove the English (United States) keyboard. Then re-add it, and delete the other keyboard language.

Let me know if this works! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I did both and neither solved the problem.  I'm assuming at this point that I need to replace the keyboard?  On the bright side now I know how to do that myself.

HP Recommended

Hey ModernMode,

That's the spirit! Silver linings FTW!

You are correct. You can replace the keyboard by following the same guide which will also give you the part number for they keyboard so you can order it online.

You can also contact HP Phone Support to order the keyboard, or set up service for them to fix it for you. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Thanks for using the HP Forums! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.