Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Help!

My keyboard and trackpad on my Compaq Presario CQ60 notebook are not responding and don't have any external devices to see whether this is an internal matter. Cannot restart in Safe Mode as keyboard does not respond, however it allows me to type in my password to access vista! I think I have just locked the computer, but don't know how to unlock it, various forums have specified reinstalling drivers etc. but I am unable to do this with no working keyboard and do not know how whether I have pressed a combination of keys which have caused this. I am not sure whether this is a Vista problem or a Compaq/HP problem.

Any help's immensly appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

as far as i know, if you can type in your password on the log-on screen then the keyboard is working, if the problem would appear after logging in or it will appear when you are on your desktop screen then it may be an operating system problem or a user account corruption issue

the keyboard would only be a hardware failure if when you turn on your nb, there will be no ligts on teh keyboard, capslock key will not lit or no response at all from the moment you turn on the nb

for the touchpad, try to check if its off or on... if there is an orange light above the touchpad then its off, toggle the switch on that light to turn it to blue..

so before anything else.. TRY THIS FIRST!!!!

1. remove the battery

2. disconnect  the power adapter

3. with no power supply at all, press and hold the power button for 1 min.. make sure it will be 1 min...

in technical terms we call this HARD RESET.. this process would release static charges that might be contained on the power button bec sometimes those static charges causes harware malfunctionalities..  

then it this step will not work.. do this...

try to go to safe mode by continually pressing F8 when booting (press F8 when you see hp invent screen), then you'll be directed to advance boot options... choose last known good config.. then it will boot to last known good settings....

please let me know if this will not work..

if not "choose repair your computer" on the boot selections.. choose keyboard layout as US.. then if asked for a username and password.. you can cahnge the administrator username to  your username then put in your password.. if you are not using any password leave it blank.. then choose start-up repair...

Hope this helps.....................:smileytongue:

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

as far as i know, if you can type in your password on the log-on screen then the keyboard is working, if the problem would appear after logging in or it will appear when you are on your desktop screen then it may be an operating system problem or a user account corruption issue

the keyboard would only be a hardware failure if when you turn on your nb, there will be no ligts on teh keyboard, capslock key will not lit or no response at all from the moment you turn on the nb

for the touchpad, try to check if its off or on... if there is an orange light above the touchpad then its off, toggle the switch on that light to turn it to blue..

so before anything else.. TRY THIS FIRST!!!!

1. remove the battery

2. disconnect  the power adapter

3. with no power supply at all, press and hold the power button for 1 min.. make sure it will be 1 min...

in technical terms we call this HARD RESET.. this process would release static charges that might be contained on the power button bec sometimes those static charges causes harware malfunctionalities..  

then it this step will not work.. do this...

try to go to safe mode by continually pressing F8 when booting (press F8 when you see hp invent screen), then you'll be directed to advance boot options... choose last known good config.. then it will boot to last known good settings....

if not "choose repair your computer" on the boot selections.. choose keyboard layout as US.. then if asked for a username and password.. you can cahnge the administrator username to  your username then put in your password.. if you are not using any password leave it blank.. then choose start-up repair...

Hope this helps.....................:smileytongue:

HP Recommended
Thanks, appears it was a hardware malfunction solved with a Hard Reset. Thanks for all your help!
HP Recommended

hi

i have a HP Pavilion dv2988nr. using Vista 64 bit on it...

recently it has developed a problem where the keyboard and the touch pad are not responding on vista... the keyboard is working fine on bios... the orange light on teh touch pad is changing to blue and vice versa so i know its not the hardware...

but when the screen to enter vista password comes.. neither the touchpad nor the keyboard works...i use my usb mouse to enable on-screen keyboard to acess vista... once there i went to device manager... was getting a code 10 error on both the keyboard and the mouse... disabling and enabling seems to work on the keyboard  but not on the mouse.. furthermore the keyboard too only works for a ltl while after that... then it stops responding too....

i tried the hard reset method u told about.. removed the battery and the ac plug... pressed the power button for a min... nuthing happened... same problem persisted.... dont know if i was supposed to hear a beep or sumthin after the hard reset...

tried the "last known good configuration" option too... still not solved...

im hoping you will be able to help me out...

i cant afford to format/reinstall vista cuz i have a lot of important stuff on my hdd...

thanks

HP Recommended

homegracious

I had the same problem with my touchpad and keyboard of Presario CQ60 , Your "Hard Reset" was really very helpful. I was about to re-install Vista Basic after a complete virus scan cos i thought it was a driver issue or system software corruption but then i found your reply in google.

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

It is hard to believe but I spent 150.00 in repairs.  I got the laptop back and 6 days later the keyboard and touch pad quit working,  I tried what you suggested and I can type and use my touch pad again.  The hard reset worked!  Thank you so much.  I was ready to just box this thing up and use only my desktop.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

HP Compaq Presario V6000 Touchpad just stopped working and the keyboard (now fixed) as in the question I read, would work with sign in then once signed in it wont..  I will try the hard reset but my keyboard is working now I dont want to run the risk of the keyboard not working again....its now only the touchpad. Should I try it ?

Only 17 Months old found out the touchpad may be Stuffed !!! Yay... HP... what now?

MMMKK
HP Recommended

My Compaq CQ60 keyboard and touchpad doesn't work in Vista.

When booting into BIOS the keyboard doesn't work. Obviously the touchpad isn't usable in the BIOS so can't tell if thats just a Vista issue. I've reloaded the synaptics driver but still not working. It's enabled (ie blue LED on above th touchpad).

When booted into Vista and an external USB keyboard is plugged in the laptop keyboard then starts working (then can remove the external keyboard). However the touchpad no longer works. Have to do this each time the PC is restarted

I've tried a system restore to an earlier date but make no difference.

Any thoughts / things to try?

HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem, no keyboard or trackpad, but it would let me log in to windows.  Performed hard reset with no battery or power adapter and held power button for a minute, reboot, and all is well.  Thanks for the answers!

System

Compaq CQ60 - 215dx 

Windows Vista

HP Recommended

Re-flashed BIOS and hey presto - keyboard and touchpad working again! Strange!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.