Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Hp Probook 4730s with Windows 7 64-bit and Bios F.29. There is no blessed "action keys mode" within this version of the BIOS, which is the latest version available on the HP Web site to download. Yes, I looked several times for the action keys or anythig like it, but it really does not exist. My keys "fn +" don't work!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I see two possibilities here. 

1) The most likely issue is that "action key support" is disabled within the BIOS.  Here is a document which shows exactly where the "action key support" option should be located in the BIOS of your notebook.  So when you go to this section of your BIOS it is not listed?

2) You may not have "HP Hotkey Support" installed.  This is what contains the drivers for function (Fn) key support.  You can download the drivers here.  After downloading the drivers you want to remove the drivers from the "Keyboard" section of the Device Manager and reboot the notebook.  After rebooting, re-install the drivers and attempt to use your function keys once again.  Finally, please post the result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

1) The most likely issue is that "action key support" is disabled within the BIOS.  Here is a document which shows exactly where the "action key support" option should be located in the BIOS of your notebook.  So when you go to this section of your BIOS it is not listed?

2) You may not have "HP Hotkey Support" installed.  This is what contains the drivers for function (Fn) key support.  You can download the drivers here.  After downloading the drivers you want to remove the drivers from the "Keyboard" section of the Device Manager and reboot the notebook.  After rebooting, re-install the drivers and attempt to use your function keys once again.  Finally, please post the result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

@AttackofZaq wrote:

=] Thank you.

The second option was the right one. After I re-installed the keyboard drivers, the "fn + " keys became functional again. The driver i installed was "HP Quick Launch Buttons" or just "sp49456" if you want to know.

Thank you for your help, I am very pleased with it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.