Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP ENVY Sleekbook 6-1010us has a broken hinge on the left side, the hinge used for opening the screen. Now, whenever I open the laptop, the screen becomes detached from the bottom and is held together by some wires and god knows what else. I then have to "re-assemble it", essentially. This worries me because it seems that it may break at any given moment. The damage is very surprising given that this occurred only through simple wear and tear from general use.

I currently have a one year factory warranty on my sleekbook, and am wondering what I can do to get it repaired. Thanks.

240 REPLIES 240
HP Recommended

Hi,

The chances of it being repaired under warranty by HP are slim, considering the type of damage. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

You can also  have it repaired by a HP authorized notebook shop. If you feel confident enough and willing to accept the risk of damaging your sleekbook, then you can repair it yourself.

-erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Ok, so how do I do that again? lol . Thanks, kudos.

HP Recommended

Hi Puppyriot,

You are very welcome.

How do you do which? I described three distinctly different options.

-erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I guess I'd like to know how I can ask if my warranty will cover it, and also how I can arrange a repair with HP (because I'm willing to pay to get this fixed in the even it is not covered). So, put simply, it would be helpful to know how to do the first two things you told me about. 

HP Recommended

Hello puppyriot,

You can contact HP Total Care to check on repair options and on the warranty status.

Here are the contact options for computers purchased in the US.

Here are the contact options for computers purchased outside the US.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did not see your reply until today.  I plan on asking the Lithium representative for a fix  of the reply sorting in the forum.

Contact HP as the previous poster has suggested to arrange to have your sleekbook sent in for repair.

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

My hinge starting separated from the screen and I called HP and they told me I might have to pay for it, but because there were no signs of damage thru dropping or mishandling it, they replaced the hinge for free.  I just hope this doesn't happen again due to reading so many sites regarding this issue.  HP should recall all the envy computers.

HP Recommended
HP will replace it at no cost unless there is signs of damage from dropping it.
HP Recommended

My wife's laptop (HP Envy 6 Notebook) also just developed the same problem after 6 months.  I really do hope HP will replace the hinge and make it right.  It does appear to be poor design or a manufacturing defect.  We definitely did not drop it.  She tried to close the lid an hour ago and simply couldn't.  It appears a piece of plastic from the hinge itself or something the hing attaches to broken off.  In fact, I had to use a pair of tweasers to pull it out from between the screen the lid of the laptop.  We'll be calling HP later.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.