Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was eventually contacted by an HP rep and got the same story as many of you- my laptop is out of warranty so they won't repair it at their cost.

This I actually understand.  They don't have to honor repairs outside of the warranty.  What I don't understand is their refusal to acknowledge that this is a widespread problem, affecting many models, and that the problem (the hinge beginning to separate) often begins before the warranty expires (as in my case), but that we simply don't catch it until the screen bezel has completely cracked, usually after the warranty.

Make no mistake, this is a widely-known problem with HP laptops.  When they say "we sell millions of laptops and there are only a few forum complaints about that model," they are A) drastically minimizing the number of complaints, and B) comparing their figures for ALL laptops sold to the number of complaints about ONE model, an apples to oranges comparison.

This issue has been noted in countless threads in HP's own forums, and in the tech press, like PC World, CNET, ArsTechnica, The Consumerist, and many, many ther publications.  They've been sued over it in small claims court. There was a class action lawsuit against them.  They had a (short) recall.  Yet HP continues to deny there are any widespread issues.

I'm creating a wesbite, www.hpregret.com, where I'll be collecting and highlighting these types of issues with the HP brand.  Anyone who has experienced problems with their hinges, please contact me at hp.regret@gmail.com with your details- I'm hoping to build a database of customers with these same issues.  You can include your name if you want, or if not just your model number, date of purchase, and specific problem.  Please no exaggerations, only the truth.

Perhaps when the magnitude of this problem is exposed, HP will deign it time to do something about it and improve their future designs, so this problem is sovled once and for all.

HP Recommended
#CovCider , all i can say is "well stated" I did notice this week 2 years after the initial purchase and 1 year after my warranty expired that the HP Update software offered me a warranty renewal for 2 years if I want to purchase it. If I do they might actually fix this issue....for as long as the fix will work. Most likely a year after the repair I can expect it to have the same problem. That all being said I think it is great to raise awareness about this hopefully forcing companies to do the right thing . Also to give your posts further credit...I have multiple HP laptops going back about 8 yrs, all of them old and new have issues with the hinges. Some were mine and some I received used from people that didn't need them anymore or didn't want to pay for repairs. I say that so the argument of me doing something wrong with my laptop is not used against me. Multiple models, from multiple owners, spanning over 8 years....i am sure they are well aware of the issues. My latest one appears to be built stronger around that area but will give it a few months and see if it is still holding up.
HP Recommended

I too have had the same reply with the same problem and roughly the same length of time and find it absolutely disgraceful customer service for a company as large as HP to treat customers and potential future customers in this way.

This was my first foray into HP laptops after using Dell and Asus previously (I tend to buy a new laptop every couple of years)

In all my time I have never had a laptop fail for this reason, fair enough you expect wear and tear but simply opening a lid and having it snap is absolutely appalling, shocking build quality.

I think this is my first and last foray into HP and will stick with Asus and Dell in the future.

Disgusted.

HP Recommended
I have buied a laptophp pavillion notebook 5022tx on 13/2/2016 and unfortunately the topcover of the laptop damged
Itz cracked. . Know how can i replace or repair the laptop..
HP Recommended

Right hinge on 15-d055sm broke while in guarantee.  Impossible to buy new one. So my solution was simple:
2 component liquid metal (epoxy glue) and piece of metal sheet. After 24 hours it was ready to mount.

HP Recommended

Similar issue. 

I have Pavilion 15 P045TX. Almost six months after the warranty period was over, the lid couldn't be closed completely - there was a gap of 5 millimeters between the screen and keypad when I closed it. Within a month, a gap started appearing near the hinge - after 4-5 days of which the screen cover opened on the right edge.

And this seems to be an expensive issue. Now I'm a student, like most of you - and HP's design team seems to have done a great job troubling us with such issues. Plus, their service is poorer compared to Dell - which would offer you free service at home (though you may need to pay for the parts). 

In summary, probably I'm never buying from HP again.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem with my Envy laptop, the left hinge is broken.
We can not close the screen.
I am out of warranty.
Doee somebody has a name on HP customer service that knows the problem very well and can helps us?
Thanks
HP Recommended
This is my second envy laptop with problems.
The first one had the screen frame opened and was replaced by HP under warranty.
Now the new envy laptop has the hinge broken.
I always used HP laptops for me and my sons but I am frustrating with this model Envy.
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

AdieJosh, I have almost the exact same issue but on the left side instead!

HP PAvilion TouchSmart 14-n056ea Notebook PC. 

Had to get it replaced in the first year under warranty because the touchscreen stopped working (despite me never using it) and the space bar was broken. HP fixed it (or just replace the screen entirely, I think) and everything was fine.

Flash forward a year later and the left hinge is a bit loose, not broken but definitely not the way the product should be. As a student as well, I carry it around with me a lot and it gets used a lot, but I'm always careful with it because it's expensive!

And now in the last two weeks, the plastic casing has completely come off the left hinge, leaving it exposed. This would be fine if the laptop closed correctly, but now when I go to close it, the left part of the casing around the screen gets lifted right up, causing it to bemd and potentially snap (I'm too scared to fully close it!).

I've tried contacting HP to see what my options are, but because I'm out of warranty, there appears to be nothing I can do! I can't even find someone to talk to without having to pay for the privelege of doing so! I just want to send off my laptop to someone and pay for it to be repaired, but I can't even find the option to do that (UK resident). 

It's totally awful service from HP, their service website is a mess and to top it all off, this isn't even a new issue! It's plagued them for years.

If I can't get it fixed, I'm never buying HP again and will be telling my friends and family not to do so either.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.