Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@noles15 ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately my wife's HP Envy 6-1100sa has just suffered from exactly the same issue. The hinge on the opposite of the power button has just broken. We're left with the right hand side of the screen resting on the chassis. The hinge itself looks like an upside-down L shape now outside of the machine with what looks like a very thin layer of glue being the only thing that was holding it in place.

I've just checked the warrenty and it expired in January 2014. The machine has had very little use as my wife also has an iPad. The machine has never been dropped or mistreated and has always been kept in a padded leather bag in a cupboard when not in use.

Can someone from HP please tell me / message me with my options please. I'm not going to be very pleased if the repair for this comes with a price tag attached to it seen as both this thread and others suggest that this is manufacturing defect.

HP_6-1100sa_Hinge.jpg

I would also like to add that I am just on the cusp of ordering a new HP tablet running Windows 8.1 for work but I will holding back pending the outcome of this issue.

HP Recommended

Same problem as others here altough my unit is different.  Left hinge here has snapped apparently and has affected the fan on the laptop.  It's starts making these loud crinky noises.  Sometimes the laptop won't even start up as a result.  The worst part is that this laptop is a mere 98 days old!  The left mouse button is also not working properly either.  It overheats easily.  I don't know how much life this computer has left and yet it's barely used.  Very very disappointed as I've never had this happen with any computer/laptop of any kind.

I tried calling the 800 number and because the warranty was only for 90 days, HP wants hundreds to fix this problem (and we didn't even discuss the fan issue or the mouse button).  Absolutely not.  If it has come to this, I will just buy a new unit and it won't be an HP.  There are serious flaws here and I'm unhappy that I apparently bought a lemon.

HP Recommended

@DJ4D wrote:

Unfortunately my wife's HP Envy 6-1100sa has just suffered from exactly the same issue. The hinge on the opposite of the power button has just broken. We're left with the right hand side of the screen resting on the chassis. The hinge itself looks like an upside-down L shape now outside of the machine with what looks like a very thin layer of glue being the only thing that was holding it in place.

I've just checked the warrenty and it expired in January 2014. The machine has had very little use as my wife also has an iPad. The machine has never been dropped or mistreated and has always been kept in a padded leather bag in a cupboard when not in use.

Can someone from HP please tell me / message me with my options please. I'm not going to be very pleased if the repair for this comes with a price tag attached to it seen as both this thread and others suggest that this is manufacturing defect.

HP_6-1100sa_Hinge.jpg

I would also like to add that I am just on the cusp of ordering a new HP tablet running Windows 8.1 for work but I will holding back pending the outcome of this issue.

Over a week has past and not a peep from HP, at least to me, publicly or privately, despite the problem getting worse on my end and me being close to not being able to use the laptop at all.  Very sad.  Have you heard anything?  

HP Recommended

Hi @richrod ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended
I have also got this issue and it's not the first time either, There is a clear design fault with the product and even prior to it snapping it was stiff brand new.

Called HP and as it's out if warrant they can only repair it with a fee unless HP admit to the design fault.

Not best please! Does anyone know who I can escalate this to in the UK?
HP Recommended

@Joshjm ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

.....no reply directed towards me and no private messages in my Inbox. Definately not feeling the love HP.

Very disappointed.

HP Recommended

I have got the same issue as many other people on this forum. The left hinge on my sons HP Envy6 has broken. The machine is out of warranty, but in general it has sat on his desk open as a study PC and it hasn't been open and closed on many occasions.

Would the powers that be at HP, start to take this issue seriously. It is clearly a design fault for so many of us to be having the same issue and clearly the hinge design is not fit for function.

I would like one of the forum moderators to contact me to disucss this issue, but in the meantime I am going to contact my local trading standards organisation via the citizens advice help line and ask them for advice about how to pursue this issue with HP in the UK.

HP Recommended

I'm going to escalate to the UK Trading Standards helpline for advice on 08454  040 506. This number is run by Citizens Advice and I will be asking them for support in dealing with a specific ssue of the hinges not being fit for function.

Clearly, from the number of similar cases, HP have a case to at least answer. Companies are expected to provide a product that is fit for function and in this case it is clearly not.

The more people who complain the better.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.