Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello rberlind,

I see that you are having a problems with the hinge on your HP computer.

Please keep us updated on the status once you contact HP support.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I'm having the very same problem right now. I bought the Envy 6-1010US Sleekbook a little over 6 months ago and have had no problems until recently when the left "hinge" on my computer decided to snap. I cannot close the laptop which is a problem because to send it in for repairs I will have to force close my laptop, causing more damage and possibly voiding my warranty. What's worse is that they want me to wait 10 or more days to send in my laptop and have it sent back and this is my only computer and I am a full time student. There's no way I can send it without breaking it, and if I take it anywhere else without sending it I will have to pay around $100 for repairs. This is just ridiculous because it's clearly a very popular problem with the model and it's absurd that I'm being inconvenienced so much when they could have taken more time to make a better product rather than mass-producing it and false advertising how "great" it is. 

HP Recommended
HP has been very responsive, responding within 1 hour to this post and to an email I sent to them. They have agreed to replace thei broken hinge at their cost and already sent me a box so that I can ship the laptop to them. So far, they have exceeded my expectations.
HP Recommended
Turn the laptop on its side and see if there is a piece of plastic sticking out from between the screen amd the lid. If there is, then try to pull it out with a pair of tweasers. Wheer there is or is not a piece of plastic, you might be able to close the lid without causing more damage. But you need to push on the lid right behind the bad hinge so that the hinge itself rotates. Don't push on the lid at the top of the screen on the side with the bad hinge since the resulting torque will tend to pull the lid away from the screen. I was able to close my wife's laptop (and reopen it) this way without causing extra damage. Don't force the lid shut if the hinge does not rotate! You need to watch carefully and make sure that the hinge is rotating and that the screen is not pulling away from the lid.
HP Recommended

Hello kristeaaaa,

I have raised this post to the appropriate team for review.  Someone should contact you via private message in these forums.  It may take up to two days for someone to contact you.  Private messages can be checked by signing in and clicking on the envelope icon at the top of the page.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with an Envy 6 sleekbook. This was purchased about 7 months ago in the US. Can I get this repaired since this is under fatory warranty ? thank you

HP Recommended
Actually, i feel bad that I never updated this to report that HP did repair the hinge on my wife's laptop for free and did so very fast. They completely exceeded my expectations: i shipped it to them on a Monday morning and got it back on Wednesday morning. I couldn't believe they fixed it so quickly, especially after they had told me it could take up to 10 days.

My advice to anyone who has a broken hinge is to nicely ask HP to fix it at their cost. Don't worry about whether or not it is still under warranty or not. My strong suspicion is that thousands of these laptops have had their hinges break. The fact is that the design was faulty and HP knows it. Ask them nicely to fix it. If they say no or say you might have to pay for it depending upon what they find when they see it, tell them that you definitely did not break the hinge and that if they don't fix it for free you'll never buy any HP products again. Mine was under warranty, so I did not have to resort to harsh tactics like that. HP is under enormous pressure from tablets and can't afford to lose customers.

Some might think I'm being ungrateful by encouraging tactics like these when HP treated me so well. I disagree. While I appreciate what they did very much, the fact remains that the hinges on these laptops are defective. Instead of waiting for each customer who has a hinge break contact them, HP should have issued a recall on the product a long time ago and replaced all the hinges for free before they broke. That kind of proactive customer service would be even better than fixing broken hinges for free and would generate tremendous loyalty amongst all affected customers.

Roger
HP Recommended

Unfortunately like so many others in this thread,  I too am experiencing the same issue with the hinges on my 10 month old HP Envy 6 -1001tx.
The problem started a couple months ago as I began to notice creaking noises emanating from the right hinge everytime I opened or closed the lid.  The laptop was never dropped or mishandled - this issue arose purely through normal, everyday use. This eventually appears to have lead to the complete seperation of the right hinge from the laptop body. I was thus forced to rely on only the left hinge, which too has now snapped off after having to support the total weight of the screen on its own.

As a humble university student, I placed my trust in the HP brand believing it to be an industry leader, a producer of innovative, quality products. Given that my laptop is under 10 months old (therefore still within it's warranty period) yet has been rendered inoperable due to poor build quality, it appears I have been sorely mistaken.
I do hope HP can provide me with a prompt resolution to this unfortunate issue.

Thank you.
-Shab.

HP Recommended

I am actually having the exact same issue.  My HP Envy 6 has experienced the same problems with the build quality of the higne and the screen.  The left hinge appears to have somehow come loose and is now pressing against the screen, forcing part of it to come off.  This all appears to be from normal wear and tear on the computer.  I traditionally have had a lot of faith in HP products, but this instance is suggesting otherwise.  

As a student I depend on my computer for everything and am incredibly inconvenienced by this issue.  Not being able to take my laptop from class to class hinders my ability to affectively participate as well as it takes away from one of the core features of the notebook; that being mobility.  Is there anyway I can get this fixed in an expedited matter? Having this kind of handicap at the start of the school year is putting me at a huge disadvantage.

Thank you

-Kean

HP Recommended

Were you still under warranty? What was the number that you called? My warranty expired a month ago, but I take very good care of my laptop and did not drop it to cause the damage. Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.