Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello I'm using a HP Pavilion dm4.

My laptop's battery seems to be stuck, I usually remove it when I use the laptop at home where it'll be plugged into the socket. I inserted the battery back in one day and I can't seem to remove it now.

The latch is all the way to the left when the laptop is upside down where the opening of the laptop is facing me. 

Is it supposed to be on the left or right? The latch seems stuck and I can't move it to the right. 

helpp meeee

cheers.

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi Tycobb,

I found your post because I just had the exact same problem, with the same computer.  The latch for the battery should be all the way to the right when the battery is plugged in.  You'll know if it's in the right place because you'll see an image of a battery under the latch.  I honestly can't give you a technical answer on this, however, I was just messing around, and I got a hold of a membership card for a store....the same type of card you'd "key" a door with.  Anyway, try and pry out the top part of the battery outward.  Be very gentle and careful.  I was worried I would break it, but once I got a good grip, the battery just popped out and the spring-loaded latch went to its' correct place.  I only did this because I have a warranty, and I was willing to take a chance.  Maybe someone else will have a better idea, but this one worked for me.

Good luck!

Max

HP Recommended

The exact same thing happened with my computer. It was a big hassle. I took your suggestion, since it was under warrenty, and pryed the battery out using a swipe card. TOTAL DESIGN FLAW ON HP's PART!!!

HP Recommended

I am having this problem right now.  I tried to force the battery out but am reluctant to really pry it.  The slider is stuck firmly to the far left of it's range of motion.  I am on hold with tech-support listening to that God-awful elevator music.  I am not a happy camper.

HP Recommended

Tried everything the tech said to no avail.  When he put me on hold I took out my Swiss Army knife and pried it open on the edges.  It popped out, the slide returned to its normal position and not it seems to be working fine.

HP Recommended
mine was too just now as well. i started to take the whole laptop apart until i realized that if you slide the battery lock to the left, the opposite way it usually goes, itll also free up the battery even though the door is jammed the other way. then fix that "service panel" and youre good to go. i broke "service panel" in the process 😞
HP Recommended

the same thing happened to me and though i can still switch this thing on i am worried about the battery.

HP Recommended

same thing with the pavillion dm4 laptop

I got it out by using 3 cards, one at the laptops back end, and one on each side corners and just pushed upwards

the slider was stuck in the open position on the left

Now that i got it out i saw that the problem is that when you move manually the slider on the laptop,it  goes to much on the left,so when you put the battery in, instead of locking inside the designated area(between two plastic things attached on the battery) it locks just outside on the left part of one of them.

In other words when trying to release  the battery out push outwards and slightly on the left or right (but very slightly)

and also in the future when putting in the battery you should move the slider attached in the laptop almost in the middle, not too much on the left because it will stuck again.(when there is no battery in it is on the right)

hope this will work!

HP Recommended

I had the same exact problem with my new Pavillion dm4. I worked it slowly as described with a couple of thin plastic cards and it finally came out. I bought an additional battery (9 cell) and needed to switch out the 6 cell. I think this sometimes happens when you install the battery in a different sequence than you are suppose to (at least I think this is what happened to me). Remember to install the end with the tabs (back side of computer) in first and then slowly snap the other side of battery down into place. 

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem that's how come i came across this! I nearly broke the sliding thing!. I did get the battery  out but it still says that it is not charging. should i replace the battery? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.