Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY 15-K202NT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I read a lot of resources on this forum about abot M.2 SSD slot and i have a few questions.

First i  want to replace this SSD with a higer capacity and install operating system to this ssd without removing HDD. I mention this because somebody said that you have to remove HDD for booting from M.2 due to BIOS limitations but another one said u can fix this with tweaks. My first question is that possible?

My second question is if replace HDD with SSD without removing M.2  SSD will it become a problem later? Because of older SSDs has short read-write lifespan and cache ssd is making these operations every time like a primary hard drive and maybe HP used an older technology on M.2 SSD.

And the last question is if i complately remove M.2 SSD can i boot from 2.5 HDD without any problem?

Thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you have a hybrid drive. The 8 gig NAND is built into the hard drive. I do not believe your model with the 15 inch screen has an M.2 slot, only the 17 inch versions. So if you want an SSD it has to be a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The specs on your model do not mention an M.2 mSSD. Are you sure you have one?

HP Recommended

In device manager i only see ST1000LM014-1EJ164-SSHD as storage device. In the webpage that i bought from it writes 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD then i thought it has 8GB M.2 mSSD but i think it is inside HDD. So i have only one slot for both HDD and SSD. Is that correct?

HP Recommended

Yes you have a hybrid drive. The 8 gig NAND is built into the hard drive. I do not believe your model with the 15 inch screen has an M.2 slot, only the 17 inch versions. So if you want an SSD it has to be a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.