Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Would it help to make a support phone call?  Is there somewhere I can get someone of the phone that knows what an m,2 slot is?

jeff

HP Recommended

@QuadTips wrote:

@Big_Dave

I received my AData drive today per your suggestion.  No luck.

So Far I Have Tried:

1.  Samsung 950 Pro (Yes I know that will never work)
  2.  Generic 128 Meg M.2 SSD
  3.  Samsung 850 EVO 120
  4.  Samsung 850 EVO 250
  5.  AData SP900 SATA 6Gb/s / M.2 2280 SSD

After the first four didn't work, I took the laptop back to BestBuy and exchanged for a new laptop. I then tried #4 again, that did not work so I purchased #5 from Amazon and tried that.

I think what no one has been able to express is that there is no place in the BIOS to configure any kind of menu that even talks about what SATA devices are hooked up.  In most systems I would expect there to be some kind of menu item where you tell the system that there is new hardware.

I read on forum where people "hack" the BIOS files to get additional features from insydeH20 BIOSes.  I have also read where some people have been able to get additional BIOS options by holding down special keys while holding F10.

I'm sure there is just something silly I am not doing.  I have attached some photos (they take a while to be approved) to this message in hopes that when you look closely you will notice "Hey there is a menu missing"

I have installed the lastest BIOS available from HP and updated all the drivers that came out on the 8th of January.

Please Help

jeff

Thanks for letting us know, QuadTips! After doing all the research I can, and hearing others like you confirm it, I'm almost positive it is a BIOS issue--whether it be a whitelist or a hidden menu option. 

Aren't there any HP service techs floating around that can chime in?!

HP Recommended

@QuadTips wrote:

Would it help to make a support phone call?  Is there somewhere I can get someone of the phone that knows what an m,2 slot is?

jeff

I doubt one of the "regular" customer support reps would help out any, but perhaps an HP authorized service tech might know something. I mean, if you payed to have them install an M.2 SSD, what would they do? 

HP Recommended

I purchased and HP extended warranty with inhouse service. Should I give them a call and report that my m.2 slot is not working?

Ideas?

HP Recommended

@QuadTips wrote:

I purchased and HP extended warranty with inhouse service. Should I give them a call and report that my m.2 slot is not working?

Ideas?

If I were you, I'd call and get as many details as I possibly could. Since there are a bunch of people having the same issue, I doubt it's a bad M.2 port. Uefi code to enable advanced menus? A BIOS configuration utility? Anything?

HP Recommended

I also just ordered a 814224-001  SSD 512GB M2 SATA-3 TLC from HP

They can't say that it's not compatible.

jeff

HP Recommended

@QuadTips

The Adata m.2 SSD on my HP laptop shows up as a SATA 3 SSD as reported by HWinfo64, SIV64x, SSD-Z and HD Tune.

The Adata M.2 SSD benchmarks out as the typical SATA 3 SSD using 8MB block size.

Very nice images.  :generic:

I hope that the HP OEM version of the Adata SSD works for you.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I got a call back from HP this afternoon, they are going to be sending a tech to my place to insure I'm "installing the m.2 memory stick correctly"

I'll be looking over his/her sholder, if he/she pulls out a USB stick with some super-secret-sauce I'll let you know.

When the call center person asked "what would it take to make you happy" my comment was "Get a computer off the production line that contains a 1TB HD, 16 Gig of RAM, 256GB or > SSD, 17.3 inch display, touch screen, and B&O stereo." Exactly what I have now, just one that works!

jeff

HP Recommended

So, a new BIOS update came out yesterday (F.25)... just tried it, and still the same issue--just in case anybody was thinking about trying the same thing.

@QuadTips

Let us know how the appointment with the tech goes! 🙂

HP Recommended

@soundprizm

@QuadTips

@Huffer

Is the Adata m.2 SSD a retail device or the OEM SSD  purchased directly from HP?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.