Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ay013nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What type of M.2 SSD is supported in the HP Notebook 15-ay013nr?  Can this unit support the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD as an upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This model can have either a hard drive or an M.2 mSSD but not both. There is a Solid State Drive board that adapts the mSSD to the same space in the laptop as a hard drive or full sized SSD. Since a SATA hard drive and the M.2 plug into the same connector I would say that you have to use a SATA M.2 mSSD and not a PCI-e version as you ask about. This is a brand new model with a Skylake processor so not easy to find information but here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 56.

So if you want the mSSD and you order the laptop with either a hard drive or 2.5 inch SSD you will also somehow have to locate the SSD board. I would just install a 2.5 inch SSD since I think the board will be hard to locate. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This model can have either a hard drive or an M.2 mSSD but not both. There is a Solid State Drive board that adapts the mSSD to the same space in the laptop as a hard drive or full sized SSD. Since a SATA hard drive and the M.2 plug into the same connector I would say that you have to use a SATA M.2 mSSD and not a PCI-e version as you ask about. This is a brand new model with a Skylake processor so not easy to find information but here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 56.

So if you want the mSSD and you order the laptop with either a hard drive or 2.5 inch SSD you will also somehow have to locate the SSD board. I would just install a 2.5 inch SSD since I think the board will be hard to locate. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

One more question:  Do you know if the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 single stream (1x1) in this unit can be upgraded to an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 dual stream (2x2)? 

HP Recommended

I indicated the wrong WLAN card.  This unit has the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 1x1 card.  Anyone know if the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 2x2 will work?  Both of these were released by Intel in Q1 2016 with the same form factor.  I'm not sure if the 15-ay013nr unit will whitelist the 8265.

HP Recommended

I need to move my samsung 2.5 inc ssd to my new HP 15 ba013cl.  It has windows 10 and has all of my stuff, programs and everything I need.  How will it boot up when I install it> What will I have to do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.