Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC running under Windows 10 (upgraded from W7). The notebook does not have the Intel Management Engine Interface driver installed. I have tried to find a driver for the MEI that would support my HW / SW combination, so far without any luck.

Would anyone know if there is a Windows 10 driver for the MEI on my notebook ?

By the way, does anyone know what is the latest BIOS for the Pavilion dv6 (I have version F.1C installed) ?

AD9

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

In order to try and help you, I would need to know the full model number or product number of your dv6.

There are literally several hundred dv6 models with different generation Intel or AMD processors.

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding.

Product id is: VY115EA#UUW

Model no. is: dv6-2170eo

Kind regards,

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be able to use the W7 driver from your notebook's support page.

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems.

File name: sp46507.exe

Try manually installing the driver if the auto install method doesn't work.

If you need help with that, let me know.

I'm surprised that W10 didn't use the W7 IMEI driver when you upgraded.

It did on all of my old HP notebooks--ones older than yours.

The BIOS version you have installed is the latest one...Version F.1C.

HP Recommended

Automatic installation didn't work. When trying to install manually, the Device Manager is not so cooperative. Moving through the driver installation, It is possible to choose "System Devices", and "Intel", but where Device Manager expects me to choose a "Model",  the Management Engine Interface is nowhere to be seen as an option.

So if you have an alternative recipe that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

HP Recommended

Hi:

All you should have to do is to go to the device manager, click on the PCI Simple Communications Controller needing the driver, click on the driver tab, click on Update Driver, select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp46507.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

The PCI Simple Comms Controller is what the MEI device is named when it is missing the driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, your guidance is easy to understand and follow. However; in the list of System Devices there is no "PCI Simple Communications Controller". In my list what appears to be the more genericaly defined device(s) is  something called "PCI Bus" and "PCI to PCI Bridge", where the upgrade from W7 to W10 seems to have resulted in a deafult driver from Microsoft having been installed (version10.0..14393.0 dated 21.06.2006). These generic devices do not respond to the prescribed upgrade procedure, which is reporting that the device driver is up to date (best driver already installed). Are these two devices the equivalent of the PCI Simple Communications Controller and, if so, is there a way to reconcile/convert these into the MEI ?

Kind regards,

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't believe they are.

In the list of system devices in the device manager, you don't see an Intel Management Engine Interface Device?

Are the PCI Bus" and "PCI to PCI Bridge" installed with no ! marks?  If they are, then they are OK.

In my system device listing, I have the:

Intel Management Engine Interface.

PCI to PCI Bridge with the same generic driver version as yours has.

I do not see a PCI Bus listed in my system devices.

My PC I'm looking at is an HP 8200 Elite business desktop PC with an Intel series 6 chipset, so perhaps my PC would not have the PCI Bus like a notebook would.

I also turned on my HP Elitebook 6930p business notebook which has the chipset one model older than the one in your notebook, and I do not see a PCI Bus.

Mine has the same Intel Management Engine Interface and PCI to PCI bridge as my other PC has.

It also has a lot more system devices than my desktop PC has but that is because it is a notebook.

So, in the main device manager listing, there is no PCI Simple Communications Controller with a little ! mark next to it?

Since the only device that seems to be different in your PC and mine (other than if you are missing the IMEI device), is the PCI Bus.

Please post the hardware ID for that device so I can see if I can identify it.

To find the hardware ID, click on the PCI Bus, and then click on the details tab at the top of the PCI Bus window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list, and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 3rd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

HP Recommended

In the list of system devices there is, unfortunately, neither an Intel Management Engine Interface Device nor a PCI Simple Communications Controller,

The harware id that I see for the PCI Bus device is: ACPI\VEN_PNP&DEV_0A03

Kind regards,

HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't imagine where your Intel Management Engine Interface went to.

The ID you posted is not for the IMEI device.

If you have a 'clean' device manager with no ! marks, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

The IMEI device for your notebook would have a hardware ID that would start with this string of characters...

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.