Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook 15-f222wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can the memory on the Notebook 15-f222wm be upgraded and if so by how much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, I have successfully upgraded the RAM on this laptop to 8GB. It works fine.

In fact, it can boot up with a 16GB RAM as well but the problem is it does not shut down or restart properly. You will need to hard reset it. Otherwise it would've worked with 16GB RAM as well.

I have also swapped out the 500GB HDD with a 1TB SSHD but it's a real pain to open up the whole casing just to access the hard disk slot. Not recommended.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine uses Intel® Pentium® N3540 with Intel HD Graphics (2.16 GHz, up to 2.66 GHz, 2 MB cache, 4 cores)From page 1 of Maintenance and Service Guide:

One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)
Supports up to 4 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600 MHz module)
Supports the following system RAM configurations:

● 4096 MB (4096 MB×1 or 2048 MB×2)

● 2048 MB (2048 MB×1)

Source:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04763947.pdf

It has 4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB) now, therefore no more, from the book.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Only has one slot and supports up to single 8GB module per service manual ref. in post above.

HP Recommended

Has anyone actual upgraded this laptop to 8 gb.  Don't want to get card only to find out the laptop does not support it.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Upon further checking, a different secction of themanual seems to be referring to the i3 model only and/orseems to imply onlythat model supports 8GB with two slots.: Page 1 -

Two SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots (Core i3 processors)
DDR3L-1600 MHz dual channel support (DDR3L-1600 dual channel support)
One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)
DDR3L-1333 MHz dual channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3L-1333)
Supports up to 4 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600 MHz module)
Supports the following system RAM
configurations:
8192 MB (8192 MB×1 or 4096 MB×2)
6144 MB (4096 MB×1 + 2048 MB×1)
4096 MB (4096 MB×1 or 2048 MB×2)
2048 MB (2048 MB×1)
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.  Which section of the manual did you find this infomation.  Also, when they say non-customer-accessible are they just trying to discourage the average user from upgrading memory?  Because under the memory module section they give a fairly detailed description with picture of a standard upgrade procedure.  Just curious.

HP Recommended

Yes, I have successfully upgraded the RAM on this laptop to 8GB. It works fine.

In fact, it can boot up with a 16GB RAM as well but the problem is it does not shut down or restart properly. You will need to hard reset it. Otherwise it would've worked with 16GB RAM as well.

I have also swapped out the 500GB HDD with a 1TB SSHD but it's a real pain to open up the whole casing just to access the hard disk slot. Not recommended.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.  You have been extremely helpful

HP Recommended

Which 8gb stick did you purchase? 

HP Recommended

I just use an 8GB Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM that I had lying around. As recommended in the HP Maintenance and Service Guide, you can get an original HP 8 GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz), part no. 693374-001. That should work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.