Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-p157na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening. 

Have a HP Pavilion 15-p157na with a malfunctioning keyboard, probably due to water damage.  The usual sort of problems associated with that (some buttons dont work, some make the wrong symbol etc).

I want to fix it and a previous thread showed me http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04324972 as a guide as to how to disconnect the top plate. 

My questions are;

a) Is it possible to just replace the keyboard without replacing the top plate - what part number keyboard would I need?

b) If it isn't possible and I need an entire new top plate, where would I get one/what would the part number be?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's the Service manual:

Manual

See p. 19 and 20. HP catalogues the part as the whole top cover including keyboard and exactly which one you need depends on the color of the chassis and the language of the keyboard. Third party vendors will sell just the keyboard and it is separable from the top cover. See p. 70. The Manual does not show removal of the keyboard from the top cover so you have to flip it over and examine it. Usually it is held in with some little screws and brackets which are perhaps under some tape. 

This would be the black US keyboard minus the top cover (frame):

http://www.amazon.com/FEBNISCTE-Replacement-Compatible-PN%C2%A3%C2%BA762529-001-765806-001/dp/B00W5O...

Does an external usb keyboard work OK? This can help rule out a motherboard issue caused by the spill. If you need a different part let us know. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here's the Service manual:

Manual

See p. 19 and 20. HP catalogues the part as the whole top cover including keyboard and exactly which one you need depends on the color of the chassis and the language of the keyboard. Third party vendors will sell just the keyboard and it is separable from the top cover. See p. 70. The Manual does not show removal of the keyboard from the top cover so you have to flip it over and examine it. Usually it is held in with some little screws and brackets which are perhaps under some tape. 

This would be the black US keyboard minus the top cover (frame):

http://www.amazon.com/FEBNISCTE-Replacement-Compatible-PN%C2%A3%C2%BA762529-001-765806-001/dp/B00W5O...

Does an external usb keyboard work OK? This can help rule out a motherboard issue caused by the spill. If you need a different part let us know. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. 

We are currently using it with a USB keyboard which is working fine.

I have ordered a replacement keyboard from a 3rd party site as I couldn't find an official one.

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.