Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello everyone ,

I'm in dire need to speed up my laptop and do not know which component that can increase speed if upgraded  , yet I'm not sure if the operating system is window 10 ( 32 or 64 bit ) , it is home version .

I shall be grateful
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From "Control Panel" (Windows 7) or "Settings" (Windows 10):

>>> Control Panel\System and Security\System

shows:

Capture.JPG

which, in my case, shows "Windows 7 Professional" (not "Home Edition"),

and "64-bit" (not "32-bit").

Do you have a "spinning" disk-drive (IDE, SATA-1, or SATA-2) or a SSD ("solid state disk").

A SSD makes disk input/output much faster, thus improving the overall speed of a computer.

If you open the Windows "Task Manager", does it show that your CPU is mostly 100% "busy"?

If not, then you probably do not need a faster CPU.

If you open the Windows "Task Manager", does the "Performance" tab show that only 50% to 80% of your RAM is "used", leaving a lot of RAM still available to be used?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Adu2016, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Dear Sir ,

Thanks for your kind respond but if the expert can not figure out what is that model is , how should I know it

Best regards

HP Recommended

From "Control Panel" (Windows 7) or "Settings" (Windows 10):

>>> Control Panel\System and Security\System

shows:

Capture.JPG

which, in my case, shows "Windows 7 Professional" (not "Home Edition"),

and "64-bit" (not "32-bit").

Do you have a "spinning" disk-drive (IDE, SATA-1, or SATA-2) or a SSD ("solid state disk").

A SSD makes disk input/output much faster, thus improving the overall speed of a computer.

If you open the Windows "Task Manager", does it show that your CPU is mostly 100% "busy"?

If not, then you probably do not need a faster CPU.

If you open the Windows "Task Manager", does the "Performance" tab show that only 50% to 80% of your RAM is "used", leaving a lot of RAM still available to be used?

HP Recommended

Product : Presario C 700

P/N : FG 809 EA

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you I appreciate your respond

HP Recommended

> I'm in dire need to speed up my laptop and do not know which component that can increase speed if upgraded 

Since it is a LAPTOP, your options are limited:

* the CPU is upgradeable, as others have mentioned, but it will require an expensive(!) "full-disassembly" of your computer to remove the CPU, and it's probably expensive to purchase a compatible CPU, and you will only gain 10% to 30% in speed -- hardly noticeable improvement;

* more RAM may help, if Windows "Task Manager" shows that you are "over-committing" your current RAM;

* a SSD (solid-state disk-drive) will definitely make input/output much faster, because the delays inherent in a "spinning" disk-drive are not present.

HP Recommended

Good evening to you , thanks for your kind help , I found great offer for SSD at crusia.com

even they provide a full scan for upgrading , I recommend everybody to try it .

Once again thanks and best regards & wishes

HP Recommended

Hello .....first and formost I would like to express my deep appreciation for your guide lines .

I find out that CPU is 99% in many times , so as you mentioned I need to upgrade it .

Would you please tell me which CPU is the best for upgrading .

Once again thank you so much

Have a nice day

Tak care .

HP Recommended

From: https://www.engadget.com/products/compaq/presario/c700/specs/

your computer has 1GB of RAM, which is the "minimum" recommended for 32-bit Windows 7.

Definitely, more RAM will help.

>  I find out that CPU is 99% in many times , so as you mentioned I need to upgrade it.

Start Windows "Task Manager".

Click on the "Processes" tab.

Click on the 'CPU' column-heading, to sort the column.

There should be a tiny 'v' above the letters 'CPU', to show that the processes consuming the most CPU are at the top of the rows.

What do you see?  What are the names of the "top-three" processes?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.