Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV71132nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Looks like I have 2 2g boards.  What can I get to max my memory?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Both answers are correct. Your laptop will accept and manage up to 8 gigs. That would be a pair of DDR2-800 laptop memory modules which cost roughly $100US. Regardless of the processor, if you have 32 bit software it cannot address any more than somewhere around 3.5 to 3.75 gigs of RAM. This is a mathematical limit of 32 bit software and is true of any 32 bit operating system...Windows, Linux, whatever. To have 8 gigs of RAM you would have to buy the expensive modules and do a complete clean installation of 64 bit Windows, which you can do because it is a 64 bit processor. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Don87,

Your PC will support upto 8GB of RAM Max.

See here : http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-dv7-1132nr

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardPavilionDV71132NR.html

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Don87  and @GBL84

If you are running a 32bit OS your max would be 4GB.

REO

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back. Unfortionately I got two answers and the other one said I could install  up to 8g of memory so I wanted to check back with you on that. One more thing: I checked the operating systemand I'm running a 32bit OS with a 64bit processor. Does that change anything?

HP Recommended

Both answers are correct. Your laptop will accept and manage up to 8 gigs. That would be a pair of DDR2-800 laptop memory modules which cost roughly $100US. Regardless of the processor, if you have 32 bit software it cannot address any more than somewhere around 3.5 to 3.75 gigs of RAM. This is a mathematical limit of 32 bit software and is true of any 32 bit operating system...Windows, Linux, whatever. To have 8 gigs of RAM you would have to buy the expensive modules and do a complete clean installation of 64 bit Windows, which you can do because it is a 64 bit processor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.