Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I bought HP laptop 1 year back. The DOWN KEY is pressing by itself. Any work I do is being interrupted. If i am reading a PDF it automatically goes to the last page. In YouTube it goes to the bottom of the page though I didn't press it. I am facing so much trouble to do anything in my laptop. What should I do???

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@G_Bharath

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP laptop and the down arrow keys seem to pressed by itself. This makes the pages to scroll and difficult to read. 

• I suggest you to check the physical appearance of the down arrow key and check if it physically looks pressed or appears normal like other keys.
  • Please check if the down arrow key activates when you press any nearby keys.
  • Meanwhile, please review this link for steps.

Feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi

Dear Sir,

Thanks for reply.

In my Laptop, the down arrow key is pressing by itself even when no key is pressed on the keyboard. If Top arrow key is pressed continuosly, the screen will scroll top and bottom. When top key is released, then again the web page or pdf or Word cursor goes to the last position. The physical appearance of the key is absolutely fine.

HP Recommended

@G_Bharath

You are most welcome. 🙂 I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

Thank you for replying with the information. 

I suggest you to run the hardware diagnostic test on the keyboard using the following steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a keyboard test. 

Keyboard - Quick interactive functional test of the keys on the keyboard. Click Keyboard, then Run once.

The Keyboard Test time is 3 minutes.

If the hardware test passes then uninstall the keyboard drivers from Device Manager

• Open Device Manager.
  • Expand "Keyboards."
  • Right click on the keyboard drivers and click on "uninstall."
  • Restart the laptop and Windows will automatically install the keyboard drivers during restart.

If none of the steps fix the issue then I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. 

Please keep me posted for any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.