Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptop keys are messing up. it keeps on pressing the delete button by itself so the delete dialog box keeps showing up. it also keeps on typing period automatically. When i press the shift button, it doesn't type in the greater than sign (>) which means its probably not a problem with the hardware.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @yuriiramos,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Smiley Happy It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you to have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More What is your specific model of Pavilion 17 notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I gather that your keyboard will arbitrarily pop up the delete screen and types the period. If you press shift + > it does not type the > .   Is this a recent occurrence? Have there been any recent changes to your system? Have you checked for viruses and malware? Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎 that should help. Please let me know the outcome.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".  To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up” below!  Smiley Happy  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello Sparkles1.

Thank you for your message. Yes, I've recently updated my computer to a newer version of Windows 10 which has a slicker look to the first version of windows 10. Since then my keyboard has been messing up. But I've recently found out that the problem is with the period key in the numbers keypad found at the right side of my keyboard. That particular key has both the delete function and the period/dot. I think that explains why my computer acts as if I am pressing the delete key and the period key. If the computer thinks Im pressing it when Im not, how could i resolve this? Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @yuriiramos,

Thank you for the update. I understand that you have determined that the  period key also acts as the delete key and that is what is causing your issue. As the physical key is not stuck, if  this occurred after the update, try rolling back the driver in Device Manager.

• Open Device Manager
  • Click on keyboard to expand the list
  • Right click on the driver  and choose properties
  • Click on the driver tab and click on roll back driver if the option is available. 

You could also try doing a Microsoft restore back to before this issue occurred.  HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know if outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles,

Thank you. My keyboard does the error intermittently. The problem has temporarilly subsided. If it makes the error again, I'll follow your tips. Thank you for helping me resolve the issue. I'll let you know if it ever happens again. Thank you so much for your big help. Good job.

HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles1, can you please help me again?

My laptop cannot connect to certain Wifi networks. It cannot connect to mine but can connect to other wifi networks. So I thought the problem must lie in my Wifi Router. However, all my other devices can connect to my wifi network, all except my laptop. So I am confused. Please help me. I badly need to use my wifi now. Thanks 

HP Recommended

Hello@yuriiramos,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. One Stop for all sort of solutions for your HP Products.

I have read your post and understand that you need assistance in fixing the Wi-Fi issue on the PC. Is that, right? I will be glad to help you.

I request you to elaborate the issue for me to find the right solution and help you in fixing it.

In the meantime, you can try the guided troubleshooter form HP online and check if that solves the issue.

http://hp.care/2dO0fu4

This should solve the issue.  Let me know for more solution.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

A hundred bucks says you're accidentally brushing your touchpad while typing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.