Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Just like that, the USB ports on my DV4-1435DX just upped and stopped.  I got messages that said that USB devices not recognized.  I tried uninistalling and reinstalling the drivers for the devices, thinking that somehow they were corrupted, but no go.  When I plug the USB devices (Logitech unifying receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse and a Bluetooth adapter) into the docking station they work fine.

And wouldn't you just know that my warranty ran out in July of 2010!

Anyone else have this problem?  Is it going to cost me a lot to get this fixed?  I don't want to spend money for a repair that will end up costing as much as the notebook cost in the first place.

The PDADoc!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved.  After much researching, I found a five-year-old post that suggested I remove all the USB devices from the computer, turn it off and remove the battery and leave it for a bit.  Fifteen minutes later, I started it up, plugged my peripherals back in, and voila!  It was all working again!

I'm glad it's back workng again, a laptop without USB ports was a major problem, and I envisioned expensive repairs that would have made it cheaper to just buy a new one.

Whew!

The PDADoc!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

do you have a USB keyboard or Bootable USB Drive that you could attempt to boot to or use in BIOS to see if it recognised?  This would determine if it was a software issue or a hardware issue.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

HP Recommended

Problem solved.  After much researching, I found a five-year-old post that suggested I remove all the USB devices from the computer, turn it off and remove the battery and leave it for a bit.  Fifteen minutes later, I started it up, plugged my peripherals back in, and voila!  It was all working again!

I'm glad it's back workng again, a laptop without USB ports was a major problem, and I envisioned expensive repairs that would have made it cheaper to just buy a new one.

Whew!

The PDADoc!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and tried this solution and they still do not work. What now? I have a Pavilion dv9320us running Windows 7.

HP Recommended

my notebook was doing the same thing.  Mouse and bluetooth or anything plugged in 2 of my 3 ports would not be recognized.  I tried your solution of shutting down, took off all USB connections, pulled the battery for about 10 min.  plugged everything back in and turned on laptop.  Drivers were installed and EVERYTHING WORKED!!!

HP Recommended

My notebook an Hp Pavillion dv7.  I  unplug printer and wireless mouse receiver, removed battery, put battery back about 25 minutes later and I still have the same problem:  2 of my 3 USB ports don't work, the one on left side does, the 2 on right side don't work.

ANY HELP WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED.  THANKS.

HP Recommended

i took my laptop in to a repair shop recently and since then the USB ports arent working...

suffice to say, i am in an ongoing dispute with that repair shop as the "new" fault is totally seperate from the reason i took the laptop in!

i have taken the laptop apart and i have noticed that there may be a wire missing, hence why my USB's dont work/ recognise when i've plugged a device in... 

is it just me or is there a wire missing connecting the USB's to the motherboard (image attached)

if so, how do i fix it!!!photo (2).JPG

HP Recommended

I have a new dv6-6108 with inoperative 2.0 ports 3.0 ports work fine

HP Recommended

I think I have found a bullet proof solution to this and the x.09F power failure on sleep or hibernate and the locking up problems. I'M RETURNING THIS TWO MONTH OLD HP P.O.S. UNDER WARRANTY AND BUYING ANOTHER BRAND! 

HP Recommended

don't buy a Toshiba

goodhearted sociopath
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.