Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp compaq cmt dc7900

Alright, good morning/afternoon.

Ive been struggling to figure out this old pc i found laying around. i decided it might be fun to try and upgrade it just as a personal challenge for a bit of fun. however after getting the pc open the intel core 2 duo cpu doesnt have the usual contraption that allows for easy removal of the cpu and upon closer inspection it appears that the cpu is completely stuck to the motherboard. I find it odd that a cpu would be glued to the motherboard like this especially on a desktop with as much space as the CMT version.

id like for someone to just confirm that the cpu is not removable and  also request that they tell me the motherboard thats installed in this particular unit.

Many thanks and sorry for the trouble.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can remove and replace the processor.

Here is the link to a service manual for the dc7700, which will provide the steps for doing that.

You want to look at chapter 6, section 6.18, and 6.19.  Now the heat sink in your dc7900 looks different than the one pictured in the illustration in the dc7700 manual, but it still comes off with 4 screws.

Removing the processor is the same in both models (6.19).

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3232028&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00...

I can't believe that HP has no service manuals for the dc7800, dc7900 or the 8000 Elite CMT's.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can remove and replace the processor.

Here is the link to a service manual for the dc7700, which will provide the steps for doing that.

You want to look at chapter 6, section 6.18, and 6.19.  Now the heat sink in your dc7900 looks different than the one pictured in the illustration in the dc7700 manual, but it still comes off with 4 screws.

Removing the processor is the same in both models (6.19).

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3232028&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00...

I can't believe that HP has no service manuals for the dc7800, dc7900 or the 8000 Elite CMT's.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your speedy response. 

Ill take a look at the manuals and follow the instructions you gave me. The fact that the solution was in the 7700 file is probably why i had trouble finding it as i limited my search to 7900 files. Thanks again for the help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is the list of supported processors that can be installed in the dc7900...see page 9.

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/13029_na-2.pdf

HP Recommended

Oh thats useful, saves me a bunch of time looking for it. Really cant thank you enough you've been so helpful.

Take care and have a great day 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You have a great day too!

HP Recommended

Hello?
Not sure if this thread is stil active 5 days after my primary issue was solved but i thought id just check here before opening an entire new thread.
Do you mind telling me the motherboard in this pc? (dc7900CMT) or just tell me what graphics cards are compatiable? or even if it has a graphics card slot.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there is a dedicated PCIe x16 graphics card slot on the dc7900 CMT motherboard.

Here is a link to the quickspecs for the dc7900 and you can see what video cards were offered by HP for that model.

See page 17.

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/13029_na-2.pdf

You can probably still get some of them new, or buy used but in tested and working condition on eBay.

You can also look into newer graphics cards such as the Radeon HD 6450, HD 6570 or Nvidia GT 730.

I have a Radeon HD 6570 in my dc7800 CMT and it works fine.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response, was celebrating my Alevel results.

Thanks for all the info, HP support has to be the best iv ever dealt with.
Regarding the PCie x16 card slot, Does that mean any PCie x16 slot would be compatiable and work respectably in the system?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome..

I assume you meant to say in the second half of your sentence that Does that mean any PCie x16 card would be compatible... correct.

I can only answer for what is listed in the quickspecs link I posted, and the specific non standard video card I installed (Radeon HD 6570).

I can tell you that not any PCI x16 video card will work in your PC. 

Some of the newer ones on the market require a UEFI BIOS, which the dc7900 does not have.

Safe bets...

any of the video cards listed in the quickspecs link I posted.

Radeon HD 6450,  Radeon HD 6570.  Do not go beyond the HD6570.

Nvidia GT 210, GT 610, GT 630.  Do not go beyond the GT 630.

I am skeptical that the nvidia GT 710 or GT 730 will work, but they might.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.