Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-1d21dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I tried to replace the hard drive in my Pavilion g6-1d21dx with an SSD before taking advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. I installed the drive (a SanDisk Extreme 480GB unit that I've had sitting around unopened for a while) and then used my recovery discs to get Windows 7 onto the SSD. The process seemed to be going okay--it went through all five recovery discs, rebooted from the SSD and began the setup process. Soon I got a "restoration incomplete" error message, though. So much for that. (The HP Recovery Manager also gave me this incredibly helpful explanation: "There might be unexpected reboot during Specialize to BBV1. The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal") On rebooting, I also got an error message about ntoskrnl.exe being corrupted or missing.

I put the computer's original drive back in and updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 on that drive, just to get the Windows 10 license (it was the final day to get the free upgrade). I also used the Windows 10 media creation tool to create a Windows 10 installation DVD. Next, I put the SDD back in and tried to install Windows 10 using the DVD. I tried this several times, but the installation was always unsuccessful. I got error messages like "Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code: 0x80FE0000" and "We couldn't format the selected partition. [Error: 0x8070057]." I also got this a couple of times: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows cannot read from the selected disk. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows could not determine if this disk and its parent devices have the necessary driver support."

This computer is not all that old--is it possible that the BIOS doesn't support SSDs? I updated the SSD's BIOS, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I also made sure that the computer's BIOS is up to date.

Thanks in advance for any relevant information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here are the conclusions I've reached after spending a lot of time on this upgrade project:

At the beginning of this thread I was strongly advised to clone my old hard drive instead of attempting a clean install of Windows 10 on my SSD. I recommend the opposite unless your system is working perfectly with your old hard drive, because that way you can leave the system, software and data files on your old hard drive intact in case you realize you need to go back and check something or you decide to abandon the upgrade altogether. I found that there is no mystery to doing a clean install on an SSD as long as your SSD is compatible with your computer. I had upgraded my old HDD from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and after that upgrade I was getting error messages every other time I booted the computer (unexpected_store_exception, inaccessible_boot_device , and kernel_data_input_error). Since there are so many problems on my old HDD, I will probably roll it back to Windows 7 while I still can, in case I ever need to refer to my old setup. Microsoft's website says that once Windows 10 has been successfully activated on your computer, future Windows 10 installs on the machine will be activated automatically, even if you have rolled the machine back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.

If you do attempt a clean install, make sure you do so with a network cable attached. This made a huge difference for me. Doing a clean install without a network cable attached led to all kinds of problems, including a total lack of Internet access and some devices not being installed correctly. When I did a clean install with a network cable attached, all of my devices were installed automatically. This includes the Synaptics touchpad, the HP wireless button, the AMD Radeon display adapter and the Realtek card reader. I didn't need to install anything myself, and the Device Manager doesn't show any unknown devices. Without a network cable attached during the installation, even my Wi-Fi was not usable during or after the installation.

One final note: My Pavilion g6 is 64-bit capable, but I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 10 on it, because I use some old software that won't run under Windows 10 64-bit. So far, 32-bit Windows 10 seems to run just fine.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, it supports SSD and you could restore using DVD's. Sounds like the process compared old HDD size and new SSD size. Now, my suggestion: keep the HDD running and when you are happy with this, try

(a) Clone the HDD to SSD using many free clone software (I have not tested all of them, only the 2nd and the 3rd on the list)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm

(b) Replace HDD with cloned SSD,

Because the HDD is only 320GB therefore at the end you have empty space on the SSD. You can use its as another drive or merge to C: using Windows Disk Management.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You are doing it the hard way.

The simple solution is to upgrade to Windows 10 on the original disk and then clone that installation to the SSD.

I wrote a tutorial that is a sticky in the notebook section that should help you and provide a bit of stress relief.

I will edit this and provide a link to the tutorial in a few moments.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-upgrade-your-notebook-to...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

banhien and erico, thank you for your replies. I still have one big doubt, though, and that's that the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize the SSD. When I tried the diagnostics, the quick and full HD tests failed. It said that the SMART test passed, though. Also, I think at some point I will want to do a clean install on the SSD. Shouldn't I be able to do that?

Today I decided to try again with the recovery discs. The recovery program said that the destination drive was not connected. I removed the SSD (which seemed to be tightly seated) from the computer and re-seated it. When I tried again, the recovery program did see it. It is copying the files now, but I think the process will fail in the end. Either way, I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

A not so well connected component definitely could be the culprit.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

As I suspected, the problems continue. The "copying required files" phase of the system recovery run from DVDs has been stuck on disc 5 of 5, at 84%, for an extremely long time. Flashing the SSD's firmware has obviously changed its behavior, but it's no better than before.

If the BIOS can't recognize the SSD, I wouldn't expect to get different results if I used cloning software--or am I missing something?

I suppose the SSD could be defective, but this whole experience suggests to me that this laptop was designed deliberately to prevent the end user from being able to upgrade to an SSD. If I can't get this to work, I think I might give Toshiba or Dell a chance when I buy my next laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi,

@erico did mentioned WHY you have to do that the hard way. You HDD is good now, just clone it to SSD then up you go.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what you mean. Erico said that the way I am doing it IS the hard way. I didn't see any explanation of why the way I'm doing it isn't working, if that's what you meant.

By the way, when the recovery program finally finished copying all of the files and I selected "Continue" to start the installation, I got the error message "BOOTMGR is missing" when the computer restarted.

Again, I ask this question: If the BIOS isn't recognizing the SDD now, why would it recognize it if I cloned the original HDD?

HP Recommended

Hi,

@erico  and me BOTH said: Clone existing HDD.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Okay, I will try that when I have time. But can you tell me WHY I need to do that? Is it because the computer is only partially compatible with SSDs, or is this normal? Why can't I just use the usual methods to install an operating system?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.