Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have a nearly dead dv9235nr.  Looking for new mother board and wondering if there are any upgrades for processor or graphics on this machine?

HP Pavilion tx2120us running Win7 Ultimate
System Admin and Analyst
HP Recommended

Hello mine is a HP Pavilion dv6z-3000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC and I was wondering what type of processors can I upgrade to?

HP Recommended

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum!

@fatakesto wrote:

A great post I found after lot of searching!!

I have an oldie- 2003 ze5385us and it is in not-working condition for past 1 year. The old symptoms have still not gone- RAM gets hot -> fan runs always -> battery goes for less time. I hardly found support for this in India- including all HP service centres!

My question now is:

1. Can I replace the RAMs. I think these are DDR1, is there any brand of RAMs I should buy?

2. I also want to replace the HDD. Being 2003 model, I guess it would be IDE. What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

The RAM is DDR 266 Mhz PC2100

the systemboard supports 1GB ( 2 * 512MB DDR modules) buy them 9.5mm High as a pair.

The hard disk is EIDE (enhanced IDE 9.5mm height .

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum!

@Cesar1819 wrote:

Hello mine is a HP Pavilion dv6z-3000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC and I was wondering what type of processors can I upgrade to?

Download CPU-z and post the current processor and the information about the system board that is installed. 

Identify your notebook with the p/n found on a barcoded sticker on the bottom of the notebook or in HP Support Assistant or the BIOS. "dv6z-3000 CTO" does not tell me the configuration of the notebook. CTO means configure to order. 

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum!

@wand wrote:

Have a nearly dead dv9235nr.  Looking for new mother board and wondering if there are any upgrades for processor or graphics on this machine?

The HP Pavilion dv9000 Notebook PC - Maintenence & Service guide  lists applicable processors by installed system board (mother board).  Download and run the CPU-z utility to see which motherboard is installed. post that here and either of us can peruse the manual to see what is compatible and available. 

regards,

erico

HP Recommended

Looking at replacing/upgrading the wifi card on my HDx16t.  It currently contains the Intel 5100 agn.  Having trouble connecting to network now after 2+ years of troubled service.

What are my options for upgrade?

Do I have to buy via HP?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂

@bonesdad wrote:

Looking at replacing/upgrading the wifi card on my HDx16t.  It currently contains the Intel 5100 agn.  Having trouble connecting to network now after 2+ years of troubled service.

What are my options for upgrade?

Do I have to buy via HP? No. As long as the wireless module is listed as applicable in the service and maintenence guide it should work. You can buy the part from an other than HP vendor.

Thanks!

What is the entire p/n that is on the barcoded sticker of your notebook? I am unable to identify your notebook with the information that you posted.

Kind regards,
erico

HP Recommended

I want to upgrade my processor in my compact presario cq62 (product number is wq849ua#aba).  I have found what processors are supported but some say only for model 1.1 or 1.2.  Im just wondering how do I know what model I have?  Also is it possible to upgrade the graphics card?  Thanks Anthony

HP Recommended

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂

@ap1991 wrote:

I want to upgrade my processor in my compact presario cq62 (product number is wq849ua#aba).  I have found what processors are supported but some say only for model 1.1 or 1.2.  Im just wondering how do I know what model I have?  Also is it possible to upgrade the graphics card?  Thanks Anthony

" Im just wondering how do I know what model I have?" Excellent question. I will ask HP

AMD Phenom II P860 Processor(2.0 GHZ 1.5 MB L2 cache1066MHz)-Triple core 25 W (for model 1.2 only)

''how do I know what model I have?''  I will have to ask HP on this one as well.

Upgrading the graphics solution in a notebook is generally not possible.

If your notebook has UMA graphics (graphics chip integrated into the systemboard chipset) then upgrading is not possible except with the use of exotic external graphics upgrades. If your notebook has switchable graphics it is possible. Switchable graphics means that there is a discrete mini-PCIe graphics modue installed. The problem is that only modules that are listed as optional by HP will be supported by the BIOS. Without BIOS support a discrete graphics module will not operate.

Kind regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Hay.

Just found this page from google as i was looking for an answer and i beleave u can help.

I own a Hp Pavilion dv7 3101sa and i was wondering if i can upgrade the amd turion II m520.

I am looking for something with more ghz then i have atm which i beleave is 2.3ghz and im looking for a list of names and ghz to compare prices.

my cpu-z results are :

Name: AMD Turion II M520

Code name: Caspain

Max TDP 31 w

Package: Socket S1 (638)

Technology: 45 mm

Core VID 0.775 V

Spec: AMD Turion II dual-core mobile m520

Family: F

Model: 6
Stepping: 2
Ext family: 10

Ext. model: 6

Revision: DA-C2

instructions: MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1,2,3,4A), x86-64, AMD-V

Also i would like to now how easy / the steps taken to change the cpu... e.g. do i have to take the keyboard off and screen or is their a pannel underneath to remove and have instant acsess.?

Thanks

Down (L.C)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.