Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Adobe Reader will be needed to view the FAQ.

I hope this answers many of your questions on the subject.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

856 REPLIES 856
HP Recommended
The Forum has needed something like this for quite a while. Thanks.
HP Recommended

This is great info. And perfectly answers most questions.

I have one question here. My processor is a Interl Celeron 530 M 1.73Ghz 1MB 533Mhz FSB (31W pwr) . Since you said that if the socket matches it should most probably work, Do I just need to look for processor that matches the socket ??

Regards

Venkat V

HP Recommended

@venkavis wrote:

I have one question here. My processor is a Interl Celeron 530 M 1.73Ghz 1MB 533Mhz FSB (31W pwr) . Since you said that if the socket matches it should most probably work, Do I just need to look for processor that matches the socket ??

Regards

Venkat V

Hi Venkat,

Please provide your laptop product name and product number. I can then let you know which processores will work in your laptop as upgrades.

Actually what I said was that using a processor that is listed as an optional processor for your laptop will definitely work.

Go to your laptop's product support page.

Use the order parts link on the left side of the web page.

Use your laptop's part and/or product number in the search box.

Then peruse the electronic parts.

That is where you will find the optional processors.

The issue is not just socket compatibility.

HP BIOSes only have support for the processors that HP lists as optional.

Trying an upgrade with other than a BIOS supported processor is a crapshoot.

You might get snake eyes :smileysurprised:  (incompatible processor message). BIOS support is absolutely critical.When upgrading memory you will face the same issue.

regards,

erico

Message Edited by erico on 09-08-2009 01:11 PM

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Is it dangerous to upgrade to a processor with a higher TDP? A 25W to 35W or even 45W?
HP Recommended

Its a Presario C700 with Part# GR995UA#ABA (C706NR Notebook PC).

I was able to successfully upgrade from 1 to 2GB. I used a PNY 2GB PC5300 memory.

Thanks

Venkat V

HP Recommended

@Luv3510 wrote:
Is it dangerous to upgrade to a processor with a higher TDP? A 25W to 35W or even 45W?

Hi,

No. It is not dangerous, as It won't explode or melt down your notebook.. It is not a wise upgrade path to follow. If the processor does work( and that is not likely) its use will shorten the product lifetime.

The laptop motherboard is designed by engineers to be compatible with processors which use a specific amount of voltage and wattage. Compatible processors are listed in the electonic parts section of the Parts (left hand side of HP web document) link on your laptop's support page. Attempted useage of any besides those listed are at your own financial risk. A processor with a higher TDP will be one that has a higher voltage requirement and is likely to be not supported by your laptop's BIOS.The BIOS has a table, coded into the .ROM file, which covers the compatible processors. The BIOS is custom coded by HP and there are few if any updates which render the laptop "overclockable". Overclocking does require that a BIOS have features enabled that allow changing of voltages (CPU and DIMM), bus speeds and primary and secondary memory timings.

The caveat is that if you replace the processor with one not specifically listed as compatible then the BIOS will very likely give you an "Incompatible Processor" error message and it probably won't boot into Windows

regards,

erico.  

Message Edited by erico on 09-09-2009 02:31 PM
Message Edited by erico on 09-11-2009 12:49 PM

HP Recommended

@venkavis wrote:

Its a Presario C700 with Part# GR995UA#ABA (C706NR Notebook PC).

I was able to successfully upgrade from 1 to 2GB. I used a PNY 2GB PC5300 memory.

Thanks

Venkat V

Hi Venkat,

You were fortunate that it worked. I checked PNY's memory configurator and did not see your model included in their list of supported HP models. That means that the modules that you chose to use were not guaranteed to work. You took a financial risk when you purchased the memory.

regards,

erico 

HP Recommended

I can return it and get a one that matches. It was only $15 after rebate.

I will check with Kingston or Crucial to see if there is one.

Were you able to find any information on the processor upgrade?

Regards

Venkat V

HP Recommended

@venkavis wrote:

Regards

Venkat V

HI,

I found a link to all upgrade CPUs for your laptop. Here is the link to the service manual.@ The manual also gives instructions on what must be sequentilally removed in order to replace the processor. So...it is doable. I would put in a Core 2 Duo T8300 processor @ 2.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB

That processor is the best your laptop can take as an upgrade.

this is a list of all of the compatible CPUs with the HP part number. You don't have to buy the CPU from HP. Just make sure that the CPU matches the exact specs as listed and has the same Intel designation.

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.40-GHz, 3 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 459798-001

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (2.10-GHz, 3 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 459797-001

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.00-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 454320-001

Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.80-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) 448149-001

Intel Core Duo T5750 (2.00-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 462353-001

Intel Core Duo T5450 (1.67-GHz, 2 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 451597-001

Intel Core Duo T2370 (1.73-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 462354-001

Intel Core Duo T2330 (1.50-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 455944-001

Intel Core Duo T2310 (1.50-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB) 455943-001

Intel Celeron M 550 (2.00-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB) 454322-001

Intel Celeron M 540 (1.86-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB) 454321-001

Intel Celeron M 530 (1.73-GHz, 1 MB of L2 cache, 533-MHz FSB) 455437-001

regards,

erico

Message Edited by erico on 09-10-2009 12:16 PM

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.