Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi I am trying to find how to enable num lock to be on on start up.

Looked in BIOS and no settings for num lock at all, saw on website references to changing the value 1 to 2 in the HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard but my value does not say 1 but says 2147483648 instead and is worried if I change this to 2 it might cause problems and unable to reset it back.

tried to find solutions for Pavilion G6 on the web and all seems not an accurate solutions, does anyone have any ideas? Reason for needing the num lock is I use PIN to access my login to log into the laptop.

Thanks PJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's ok has finally stumbled across another website that has solved my problem.

Was the case of changing the value from  2147483648 to  2147483650 and it works.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It's ok has finally stumbled across another website that has solved my problem.

Was the case of changing the value from  2147483648 to  2147483650 and it works.

HP Recommended

Does this Registry setting apply to Pavilion G7 Notebook with Windows 8.1?

HP Recommended

msafstrom

I would strongly recommended to take a backup of the registry and/or create a system restore point first. Having done that, follow these steps:

Step 1. Press Win + R and type in Regedit

Step 2. Navigate to registry key HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard

Step 3. Right click on the “InitialKeyboardIndicators”, select Modify and change Value data to 2.

Step 4. Save and exit Registry.

Note: If you see the default value data as 2147483648; that is fine too and is the default on most installations.

Please feel free to re-post if you have any further questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

I have this same problem. One suggestion was, on the openin page, before signing in, to press the Number Lock key, then reboot without completing the sign in,  Didn't work.

Next was to edit the registry to change the KeyboardIndicaters from 21474833648 to 21474833650 (not my first trip into the registries over the years).  This also didn't work.

Three verification checks of the registry confirmed the new string was still in place.

Are you saying to change the entire 21474833650 string to a vlaue of 2 ?

Thanks,

Jim B.

HP Recommended

Changing the resgistry value to two will have numlock on when starting but only if it was on when shutting down.  If numlock is off when shutting down it wll not be on when restarting.

HP Recommended

Hi, this works perfectly, many thanks

HP Recommended

"Changing the resgistry value to two will have numlock on when starting but only if it was on when shutting down.  If numlock is off when shutting down it wll not be on when restarting."

That, actually, was the most clarifying piece of advice regarding this issue.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

(still) using an DC7700 SFF with Win XP, after logging in the Num Lock is off. Tried the  suggestions but they don't work.

Strange;  logging in as Administrator light is on. Logging  under my user name Num Lock is  off.

It seems that the  user  is the problem - but  I can't find the sollution.

/Marc

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.