Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-420qed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

It looks like the hard drive in my almost new (just past warranty) pavilion 500-420qe is going out.  When I turn it on, I can hear it but the screen goes to black. 

I ran diagnostics and got a FAILED for Hard Drive Short DST for hard drive 2.

What size hard drive to I need to replace it?  I cannot find that specification.

Any suggestions on where to buy one?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@KatL,

Welcome HP Forums. The best place for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Want specifications of the Hard drive that needs to be replaced. Is that right?

I will definitely help you.

Please make a note of the specifications of the HDD you need to install on the PC.

• Size: 1 TB

• Interface: SATA

• Rotational Speed: 7200 rpm

Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@KatL,

Welcome HP Forums. The best place for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Want specifications of the Hard drive that needs to be replaced. Is that right?

I will definitely help you.

Please make a note of the specifications of the HDD you need to install on the PC.

• Size: 1 TB

• Interface: SATA

• Rotational Speed: 7200 rpm

Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.