03-04-2011 03:33 AM
I have an HP EX490 MediaSmart Home Server with Version 22.214.171.124433 of the WHS Operating System installed. Apparently, HP offers no support for this product, even during the warranty period.
I have four computers attached to the network:
- HP G70US portable running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (latest OS Updates)
- HP DV6000 portable running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit (latest OS Updates)
- AMD unit with ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard with Phenom4 processor running Windows XP Home with SP3
- Pentium IV unit with ASUS Motherboard running Windows Vista Business with SP2
All of the machines are backed up to the EX490.
I have not had the opportunity to test the HP DV6000 portable yet, but none of the other computers, with the exception of the Windows Vista unit can detect my server when booting from the PC Restore disk.
- All units, when tested, were hard wired to the same router that the EX490 is on
- I have downloaded the latest version of the (Dual Boot) PC Restore software from Microsoft and made an ISO disk
- I have gone on the server, in each case, and copied the “Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore” folder to a
USB drive and inserted it in a motherboard USB socket when booting from the PC Restore disk, as I've seen
suggested on a couple of sites.
- All the correct drivers seem to be detected, and although my server is not called “SERVER” when I type the name of
the server in, the server is still not detected.
- The Vista 32 machine finds the server with no problem and without having to type in the server name
- I have no subnets, only the NAT and DHCP assigned standard private IP addresses.
I can restore files from the server when I boot all the machines normally with the WHS connector software in place, but I’m concerned about the possibility of a hard drive failure.
The main reason I purchased the EX490 was to be sure that my machines would be automatically backed up on a regular basis, but it does little good if a cold restore cannot be done.
Anybody have any ideas how to solve the problem?
I’ve looked at all the sites I can find and incorporated everything I’ve seen, other than trying to build a Vista 32 driver set for each unit. I’m not sure how to go about doing that short of retrofitting all the units with Vista 32. Not very sensible.
Any ideas would be appreciated.