Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 ab128na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Pavilion 15 ab128na laptop and wanted to know about its upgrading capabilities.

It ships with a 256GB M.2 SSD drive but this maybe a bit small. Is there room for an additional HDD drive (like the pavilion gaming notebook)? So I would have, for example, the 256GB M.2 SSD drive and a 1TB HDD.

Or does the model only allow for 1 hard drive, so I would have to replace the SSD it comes with with a larger capacity SSD?

Many Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This Manual says Star Wars Edition and the 15-ab128na shares the same internals with that model. 

The problem will be that if your laptop ships with just the M.2 mSSD I do not believe they will include the mounting kit for a 2.5 inch hard drive. You would have to acquire that part in the secondary market somehow.

Hard Drive Hardware Kit (brackets and connector) 809296-001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/809296-001-Hp-15-AB027CL-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Kit-Grade-A-/171992018156?hash=ite...

Also, accessing the hard drive bay is a bit of a chore and will put the warranty in jeopardy. 

But to directly answer your question the laptop is designed to have both an M.2 and 2.5 inch SATA drive at the same time. 

You could also install a hard drive as pure storage using the DVD drive slot with an adapter. Obviously you lose the optical drive but I find myself using mine very rarely these days, anyway. Using that bay will not impact the warranty. 

Let us know if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This Manual says Star Wars Edition and the 15-ab128na shares the same internals with that model. 

The problem will be that if your laptop ships with just the M.2 mSSD I do not believe they will include the mounting kit for a 2.5 inch hard drive. You would have to acquire that part in the secondary market somehow.

Hard Drive Hardware Kit (brackets and connector) 809296-001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/809296-001-Hp-15-AB027CL-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Kit-Grade-A-/171992018156?hash=ite...

Also, accessing the hard drive bay is a bit of a chore and will put the warranty in jeopardy. 

But to directly answer your question the laptop is designed to have both an M.2 and 2.5 inch SATA drive at the same time. 

You could also install a hard drive as pure storage using the DVD drive slot with an adapter. Obviously you lose the optical drive but I find myself using mine very rarely these days, anyway. Using that bay will not impact the warranty. 

Let us know if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Thank you very much this answers my question perfectly! I think I will consider replacing the optical drive with storage, it seems like an easier process and not voiding the warranty at the same time is a bonus!
HP Recommended

Hello, Do you have a reccomended reseller for this part in the UK?

it ships by ebay from the US, but the shipping is more than the part.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.