Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.  This is the manual I was looking for.   

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended
Not much to watch out for when pulling down the dv8000, nothing that gave me probs anyway. It's a good idea to make some notes to yourself and keep screws and bits and pieces in order as you go, and don't force anything.

The only prob I'm having now is with sound, I uninstall the driver and windows finds it again on restart so it works for a while, but stops working after a day or so. Sound via USB still works though. I'm thinking maybe the driver installs to some temp folder. Any ideas Paul? Also my SD card reader doesn't seem to work either. Apart from these, all is as it should be.
HP Recommended

Hi, @ Tallisd:

Yes, there is an updated card reader driver that should fix your problem, that is not on your notebook's support and download page.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Audio...

See if this audio driver will work:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46818-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

Paul

HP Recommended

Hey paul,

The card reader driver did the trick, thanks for that,  but the audio driver worked only for a while, then stopped, exactly as it does when I uninstall and let windows rediscover it. The sound level bar seems to show sound when something is playing but no sound from the speakers. Any other ideas?

thanks, Tallisd 

HP Recommended

Hi:

I wish I had an answer for you but unfortunately I don't.

I have thought of everything I could.

Sorry,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello.  I too have an HP Pavillion Dv8000 and I would like to upgrade the processor to the best one that is compatible (currently I have the processor it came with it -- an AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-32, 1.79GHz); I want to upgrade the RAM to the max amount and the fastest that is compatible (currently I have 512 MB of RAM or I guess that would be 0.5 GB); and I would like to upgrade the video card (I currently have an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 Series card) to the best one out there that is compatible with the computer.  I'm not interested in upgrading the hard drive or the operating system (which is Windows XP Home).

So could someone recommend the best/fastest processor that would be compatible, the max amount of RAM the laptop can support (is it 2GB or 4GB and how many slots does it have?) and the type or speed (DDR2??? DDR3??), and the best video card that would be compatible?  If you could provide not only names of the items but links to them at a site like TigerDirect.com, that would be AWESOME!  Any other advice is also much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Jay

HP Recommended

Hello everybody.

This may be outdated to all, but to me is very new.

About two months ago I read this blog and I got some ideas for upgrading my HP DV8000 laptop.

I bought it new about 11 years ago (more or less), and it came with a 1.7 GHZ Intel Centrino Duo Processor, a 65 GB conventional hard drive and one 1MB ram card. It was state of the art back then, and after many years of use it got old and started to break down, so I gave it to my kids and forgot all about it. Last year I found it all broken and useless. I bought both screen hinges and the plastic bottom which had a big piece missing, and some other missing pieces. So I got it running again and then I thought about upgrading it and somehow I came up with this blog, and following the commentaries and advice I just did it and everything worked beautifully. So to anyone doubting about the upgrade I just have one thing to say: Go for it. I really works, no matter what the factory specs say about the limits of it.

So I put in an Intel T7600 M socket 2.33 MHZ processor for $38.50, two 2MB ram cards for $18.77 a pair (Samsung 4GB 2x2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 200pin Sodimm 2Rx8 Laptop Memory Module), and a solid state 120 GB hard drive $45.00 at best buy last December (I put the old one as a second hard drive just for storage, the bay supports two hard drives at once).   And as I say, it runs beautifully, no problems here, and it’s really fast. It starts up and it shuts down very fast, it opens programs and web pages in no time. I have windows 7 ultimate 32bit and recognizes 3MB of ram. I already upgraded it to windows 10 and I worked the same way, but I didn’t liked it and I went back to 7. I know I will have to go back to 10 and get used to it, but until that happens I´ll wait.   So thanks to all form the good advice.   By the way, I got all parts in ebay, except for the hard drive.

HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion DV8000 has 2 of these:  512MB DDR 333 MHz CL2.5

You say to use 2 of these: 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667

How can I use DDR2 in a DDR system?

HP Recommended

Hi @Myisland2006,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you would like to upgrade your ram and CPU.  Here is a link to the Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion dv8000 Notebook PC.  Please note chapter 5, page 12, item 5.6 for the recommended replacements.   I did not  see a recommended replacement CPU listed.   

Here is a link that may also help:

HP Parts Store

I hope this helped.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as  "Accept as Solution”  to help other community  members! To say thanks for the assistance, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.