06-15-2014 05:34 PM - edited 06-15-2014 05:52 PM
I have a Pavilion G4 PC Notebook, Product number: LM754LA#ABM
- I currently have 4.00 GB (stock) of RAM but it says that only 2.70 GB is usable, is there a way to increase this?
- What is the maximum capacity that I can upgrade my ram to? (My OS is 32-bit Win7)
- Can I purchase 1 stick of the 4GB RAM to add (Product # 621569-001) or can I do better by purchasing two sticks of the same manufacturer?
Many thanks in advance for any direction you can provide!
06-17-2014 09:17 AM - edited 06-17-2014 09:19 AM
With 32 git Windows 7 you cannot add any more memory than you have. You have 4 gigs but 32 bit Windows will only see about 3.5 gigs and then some is being used by video so 2.7 useable. In order to add more you are going to have to install 64 bit Windows and that requires a complete format and reinstall. The Key Code provides a license for either 32 or 64 bit probably so you likely do not need to buy a new copy just install 64 bit. We can link you to a downloadable file to make a disk to do that. Based on HP's specs the laptop did originally come with 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium so not sure how 32 bit got on there.
06-17-2014 01:28 PM
Thank you very much for the information Huffer.
I would certainly appreciate the link to the downloadable file.
Once I have upgraded to 64 bit, is it best to purchase a set of two matching 4GB sticks of RAM or is it safe to purchase one stick to add?
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps
- Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset
- HP PCs - Improving Slow System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)
- HP PCs – Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 8)