Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had the laptop now for four days. The backslash key , and for that matter the pipe keys do not work. I work in IT, and both of these are bread and butter to what I do. Not having them is inconvieient to say the least.

I have a UK QWERTY keyboard selected, and I'm using UK English language. I've added US English as the language but that makes no difference.

I've have seen a post on these forums for a high end HP laptop where HP apparently suggest these keys are not supported in Windows 10. I know that to be absolute rubbish. They worked fine with my Dell which the Pavilion is replacing. Why on earth would Microsoft not support the use of a key necessary to type file paths in their operating system. Just not credible.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect a brand new laptop out of the box to be able to type the characters on the keys provided. Usiing a different keyboard as well may provide a work around, (if it had worked), but it's not a solituion, you find other keys you want to use, like " became @ . I am starting to regret spending my cash on an HP.

Any practical suggestions will be much appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Koobertsdad,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the keyboard. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue.

Here is a document for Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎.

If this does not work more store have a exchange program.

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for recoomending the standard troubleshooting steps which don't spply in this case although I have alrady red them.  I did try removing the installed keyboards and rebooting that allowsed Windows to reinstall tham. It has made no difference.

Clue, I am using a UK QWERT keyboard and UK english because I am in the UK.  Twigged the significance of this after spening 5 minutes filing my details in the US/Canade form that you initimated wasn't appropriiate.

Spent another 5 minutes recreatinf the information in a UK form. Presed submit. Apparently you canot verify my warranty. So I select the dispute this option with a view to attaching the acknowledgement of the extended waranty I bought. But I need to quote a case number. I don't have a case number because, you can't verify my warranty. How long does the farce need to go on for?

I can use the contact details below, but there aren't any.

My extended warranty details with Best to serv in the UK are;

Contract n°: (removed content)

Order number: (removed content)

Extension n°: U4819E

Serial n° of your product covered by the Warranty: (removed content)

Product reference: X5W53EA

Date equipment was purchased: 24-06-2016

I have just notice too that the ate on this is wrong, it should be 24/08/16? Still it is covered! Does nothing go right with HP?

HP Recommended

I raised a case with HP, having got the agent to accept I am covered by a Warranty. I am pleased to say that the agent has accepted ownership of that issue to and is doing something about that too.

At first It was suggested that I return the device to the retailer on the basis this was a hardware fault. Then I'd get another machine with the same fault. It is in fact a build issue and I suggested that the keyboad mapping be corrected, the builds updated, and a patch issued. The Agent took this on board and did some further research. He located a BIOD update which I have applied.

The issue is resolved. 

HP Recommended

Hello 

I have the same problem, how exactly sort it? 

HP Recommended

Hello Tomdcd

Raise a call with HP support, they should provide a BIOS upgrade for you to apply.

I'd give you my call reference to refer to but the moderators on hear would shout data protection, edit the post, and tell me off.  That would be on the basis the call number means I can be identitified. If anyone has acess to call number records they can probaly ID me from my screen name too.

The file name was sp77157.exe. They only made it available for me to download for a limited time.

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

I had this issue when rebuilding from an RTM windows DVD; back slash key is not working.

ust download the BOIS update from the drivers download section of HP support. Install the BIOS update (even if it is the same version as you have), this process somehow updates the keyboard mapping.

I everytime i need to rebuild my laptop from scratch i need to repeat this process.

HP Recommended

Saw this post and thought it'd be worth clarifying for others who see this problem. 

Recently bought a refurbished Pavaillion x360 and immediately had this problem after Windows 10 deployed itself. I had an RMA ready for returning it but seems that it's simply a weird keyboard issue in the stock BIOS.

README

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77157.html

Windows 10 x64 download of BIOS update

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77157.exe

FTP folder hosting the file (browsable)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/

Make sure you read the README to confirm your laptop make and have the power connected BEFORE you start this process.

Hope this helps.

As someone else mentioned it's worth keeping a copy of this handy if you're ever upgrading to Win10 etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.