Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

So today I checked and there's nothing in the BIOS considering cooling other than | Fan Always On <Enabled> 

Nothing else about the cooling policy or whatsoever.

EDIT: I updated the BIOS to the latest version <F.1C>

HP Recommended

> When I stressed the CPU using CPU-Z it reached 70C and while keeping the test running it steadily raised to 73+.

What was the temperature before the test, and 10 minutes after the test?

> I think that's not normal is it? 

Yes, it is normal for a "stress-test" to raise the temperature.

From: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02031716

your 4th generation processor is: 2.26 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor i5-430M

From: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.h...

"Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1 "

is more than you would ever need to know about the thermal cooling requirements for your processor.

In that document, at "Table 28", is a range of case (not CPU) temperatures from 66 to 74 degrees Celsius.

Presumably, the CPU temperature will be higher.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reference! I will sure have a look at it.

>> What was the temperature before the test, and 10 minutes after the test?

On idle here are the temps after turning it on and leaving for a while. Power plan is Balanced and minimum State for CPU is adjusted to 2%.

~42C Mobo temp

~40C-46C CORE 0 

~30C-36C CORE 1

After 10 minutes of stress test

77C Mobo temp

77C CORE 0

72C Core 1

They tend to be steady at those numbers.

It's a curious thing though how much difference is there between the temps of the two cores. Does each core has a separate heat dissipator, hence the "two" heatsinks on the CPU chip? Could it be a less fortunate thermal paste application for CORE 0 ?

EDIT: SpeedFan shoes 148 RPM! That's really odd. The fan isn't speeding up at the 100% utilization and not revving with noise as it used to before!

HP Recommended

> It's a curious thing though how much difference is there between the temps of the two cores.

I wonder if that benchmark program is "single-threaded", i.e., it does not try to keep *BOTH* of your cores "busy" ?

So, one core gets most of the "test", and occasionally Windows dispatches the second core.

Compare to basketball -- the "point-guard" usually passes the ball to the taller team-mate, but sometimes to the shorter team-mate, who might be in a better place for a good shot.

> Does each core have a separate heat dissipator, hence the "two" heatsinks on the CPU chip?

> Could it be a less fortunate thermal paste application for CORE 0 ?

No.  The two "cores" are two identical sets of electronic circuitry, packaged into one "chip".

So, just one layer of heat-paste on top of the one chip.

> SpeedFan shoes 148 RPM! That's really odd.

> The fan isn't speeding up at the 100% utilization and not revving with noise as it used to before!

Correct.  The CPU's thermal technology is measuring the temperature of the CPU, and determining that the fan need not be revved at full-speed/full-noise levels.

Any other questions about "not powering up" ?

HP Recommended

No. THANK YOU! You have helped clarify a great deal of stuff to me. I really appreciate your time and effort.

I'm still puzzled by the fan issue though just because it revs "down" under load. It's 200 RPM idle and ~ 145 on 100% load. I know it's already controlled but if I'm ok with some noise can I get it down a bit? Even modifying DSDT table (which I don't know how). I think that should be in a new thread. Thank you anyways!

HP Recommended

> It's 200 RPM idle and ~ 145 on 100% load. I know it's already controlled

> but if I'm OK with some noise, can I get it down a bit?

What are you hearing?  Is it really the fan?

Note that 180 RPM is 3 revolutions per second.

Can you draw a small circle, in the air, with your index finger at 3 loops per second?

Can you hear any noise at that pitch?

Remember that the lowest key on an 88-key piano is 27.5 vibrations per second.

HP Recommended

Yes I hear a very low db noise from the fan and it evics air consistently, but the thing is it revs down to 145 RPM when the temps are at stress load. I'm confused at how this even works. It's supposed to speed up when the heat accumulates, not the other way around I think?

HP Recommended

> I hear a very low DB noise from the fan.

I was asking about the "pitch" of the noise (like the pitch of the lowest key on the piano), not the "volume" (DB).

Anything that spins at only 3 revolutions per SECOND, such as your finger that I mentioned in my previous posting,  is "sub-sonic" -- not detectable by human ears.

> the thing is it revs down to 145 RPM when the temps are at stress load. I'm confused at how this even works.

> It's supposed to speed up when the heat accumulates, not the other way around I think?

I'm confused, too.  Maybe, the "thermal controls" in the CPU have a "default" value of 200 RPM, and the temperature-related calculations derive a value of 145 RPM.

Maybe, your software is mis-reporting the value?

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download/install/run SPECCY, to see what values it reports for fan-speed and for motherboard/CPU/disk-drive temperatures.

Tell us what it reports.

Any more problems with "won't power up" ?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info! I downloaded Speccy and it's not showing the fan RPM anywhere. 

And for the temps, it's reporting slightly different values than HWMonitor. Abour 3C less in all of them.

How can I make sure about the system default value?

HP Recommended

> Speccy is not showing the fan RPM anywhere. 

It does, for me: 

Capture.JPG

> And for the temps, it's reporting slightly different values than HWMonitor. About 3C less in all of them.

Did you run HWMonitor, then Speccy, then HWMonitor, then Speccy, to get 4 "consecutive" measurements?

> How can I make sure about the system default value?

If you have an Intel (or AMD) processor, search Intel's (AMD's) web-site for the "specifications" for that processor.

But, what good will it do to know that value?

Any more questions about "won't power up" ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.