Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hey guys,

i have a pavilion dv6000 laptop (windows vista) and when i tried to use a new feature in google+ my webcam wasnt working.  i went into hp mediasmart and it said i needed to turn on my webcam (internal).  i noticed the little what i assume is an LED next to the camera wasnt on. 

naturally its out of warranty (or so they say) but all i want to do is know how to actually turn the webcam on.  is it a driver that i need? is there a way to hard reset the laptop so it turns on? (i actually dont even know if there's supposed to be an LED on at all times).

if someone could help me out that would be great, thanks!

HP Recommended

i ve dv6 33267cl. it came with window 7 home edition now i ve changed to window 7 enterprise edition. i ve loaded all avail driver from hp site also sp42222 driver . but i could see my hp media web cam software due to which i m unable to use my web cam. 

HP Recommended

Wow - same problem here and I just spent 45 mins with a tech on a call to try to troubleshoot. All we ended up doing was performing the same driver updates I had already done and verifying that yes indeedee, device manager showed the camera missing.  What's going on here?  My options as presented were to return for repair (7-10 days) or pay someone $50 to come to my house to fix it.  I purchased this less than 2 months ago and this was the first time I tried to use the camera.

HP Recommended

Yeah, that really sucks that HP provides apparently zero assistance with this. My Pavilion's online switch broke three years ago and now the camera isn't working. They make the best printers, but this computer sucks.

How 'bout a little help, HP?

HP Recommended

I find it really sad that HP would allow a thread like this to go on for 2 years and not answer a thing. Although I'm not experience this issue after a reformat, they should step up and help people who don't have that option.

HP Recommended

Cummon HP, how about some help here?!! Your customers are dying.

The same webcam issue is happening to me too. I can't believe how many people are in here with the same complaint and not a word from HP.

It's like they think that what they so 'helpfully' call "Peer Support" in these forums enables them to completely abdicate any responsibility for helping their customers wrestle with their crap products.

I am never buying HP ever again. Oh Dell, Dell, all is forgiven!

I feel like starting a Hate HP twitter campaign. Or how about a Facebook un-fan page: "Never Buy HP -- They Don't Care About Their Customers." 

Eff you, HP.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my webcam. I ordered the laptop from HP and it took three weeks to get it. I have only had the laptop for a few weeks and used the webcam one time. Now the cam stopped working and I get an error msg that says camera not found. I did a complete system recovery with the cds I purchased along with the laptop. Then the drivers were missing for the webcam so I had to download them from hp drivers. The webcam is still not working and I was told I will have to send it in for repairs. This is really sad that everyone is having problems and this is not being fixed. I will no longer be buying HP computers.

HP Recommended

I am shocked as well.  I just noticed this and thought maybe it is because I recently got my screen replaced but I really don't know if it was working before then.  I got it from Best Buy and paid for a warranty.  I am going to take it back this weekend and see what happens.  Pray for me.

HP Recommended

My computer had a virus and my friend completely wiped everything off of it, installed Windows 7, and now the button on my dv6 for HP MediaSmart doesn't work. I have no clue how to get to my webcam now. I can't find MediaSmart anywhere on my laptop, nor do I see my webcam under imaging devices. Do I need to install something to make it work again? I am hopeless when it comes to computers and this is extremely frustrating. I just moved and I want to Skype my fam 😞

HP Recommended

aev1205, it is likely your camera is functioning, but you just don't have the right application installed to access it. 

First, check to see if it's installed via Control Panel > Device Manager > Imaging Devices

(if you're in a clean/new install of windows 7 -- like me -- the camera should be the only device listed in that expandable menu)

From that point, you know you have a functioning camera. I'd suggest searching the HP Installation Disks for Media Smart -- or download.com for a program that will allow you to access your camera -- OR, just run Skype and see if your camera turns on as part of the program.

Hope that helps, and I'll check for your reply... 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.