Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2333el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I recently decided to upgrade my Paviliion g6-2333el's RAM by adding a second 4GB RAM.

I inserted the new RAM in the secondary RAM slot, but the PC seemed unable to find it. Fearing that I could've bought a RAM that was not compatible with my laptop, I tried removing the original RAM and putting the new one in its place: the new RAM was correctly identified.

Seeing that the new RAM was indeed compatible, I tried inserting the old one in the secondary slot and the result was the same: the RAM was not seen by the PC.

I noticed the following about that secondary RAM slot:

1) The RAM seems to be inserting less deeply than in the other slot

2) The RAM is very easily brought out of position when it's in that slot (as in, simply slightly touching it will make it fall out of the connector)

3) Unlike with the other slot, when the metallic arms that keep the RAM in place are released the RAM doesn't "pop" out on its own

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Is the connector broken or is it just that for some reason the RAM can't stay in place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try blowing out the slot with compressed air. Insert the module at a 45 degree angle and don't be afraid to push it in a little once you are sure the notch lines up with the tab inside the slot..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Try blowing out the slot with compressed air. Insert the module at a 45 degree angle and don't be afraid to push it in a little once you are sure the notch lines up with the tab inside the slot..

HP Recommended

Thank you, apparently, fearing that I might break the module, I wasn't pushing hard enough. I pushed a little bit more than the other times and the RAM went noticeably farther in, started behaving like the bottom one regarding to "popping up" and was immediately recognized by the PC! Thank you 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.