Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV6-2155DX
Windows 8.1

I'd like to  confirm if upgrading the CPU in DV6-2155dx to a core i5-580M from the stock i3-330M is possible.  I've read a post that claimed the i5-580M (along with the I7-620M & I7-640M) was compatible, but the latest BIOS release notes (copied below) indicate support was added "for the Intel I3-350, I5-520, I5-540, and I7-620 K-O Stepping Processors".  From what I can gather from other online references, the i5-580M is a K-0 Stepping processor, but is not specifically listed as being supported by the BIOS update.

Could someone confirm if the DV6-2155DX with the latest BIOS could support the i5-580M processor upgrade?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------

Release details

Released:
2010-06-11

File name:
sp48953.exe [1/1, 3.54M]

Version
F.1C A

Compatibility:
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Fix/Enhancement

Adds BIOS support for the Intel I3-350, I5-520, I5-540, and I7-620 K-O Stepping Processors.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UMA = integrated so you have UMA.

There is no source of information on processor upgrades other than the Service Manual. HP does not support or encourage laptop processor upgrades after the point of sale for reasons that should be obvious. They would rather sell you a new laptop and there is no upside to HP in your opening the case of the laptop. 

From a picture of your motherboard I can see that the processor is not soldered on. Logically, there would be no reason that a CPU that will work on a version of the same motherboard with dedicated video would not also work on one with integrated video. It ain't always logical, however. I also see that your motherboard is not in the Manual I posted. I have done a few of these upgrades and kind of like to think I have a seat of the pants feel for it and I am going to go out on  a limb and say the i5-580M will likely work. No guaranties but I am about 80% confident. 

In fact if you put your motherboard part number in Partsurfer it lists every model it was used in and I see that it can actually accept an i7-720QM and I found one where it was running an i5-430M.

Models using your motherboard

I did not go through each and every one but if I could find one with the i5-580M my confidence would go up to 100%. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

If relevant to my earlier question, attached below are CPU-Z reported specs on the CPU and motherboard:

CPU-Z1.jpg

CPU-Z2.jpg

Thanks

HP Recommended

I cannot find an HP Manual that appears to specifically encompass your model. The closest I could find is this one:

Manual

This lists several first generation Intel Core processors including the i5-580M but does not list the i3-330M. However, it lists the i3-350M which is very close indeed. What concerns me more is that there appear to be a couple motherboards which have fixed processors; i.e. the board is only designed for a single type of processor. See page 23. And these boards are based on the HM55 chipset and UMA graphics, which yours has. I think the i5-580M is only compatible with the boards having the HM55 chipset and the dedicated graphics. It might be good to know your motherboard part number which can usually be found inside the memory compartment. 

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your reply, Huffer!

The little white sticker under the RAM modules says "Replace with HP Spare 580978-001".  I searched and found a site selling replacement motherboards which lists the graphics card type as "integrated".  CPU-Z Graphics tab lists:

CPU-Z3.jpg

I'm not sure whether this confirms if I have UMA or dedicated graphics?

Any way to tell if this board has CPU upgrade options?

Thanks

HP Recommended

UMA = integrated so you have UMA.

There is no source of information on processor upgrades other than the Service Manual. HP does not support or encourage laptop processor upgrades after the point of sale for reasons that should be obvious. They would rather sell you a new laptop and there is no upside to HP in your opening the case of the laptop. 

From a picture of your motherboard I can see that the processor is not soldered on. Logically, there would be no reason that a CPU that will work on a version of the same motherboard with dedicated video would not also work on one with integrated video. It ain't always logical, however. I also see that your motherboard is not in the Manual I posted. I have done a few of these upgrades and kind of like to think I have a seat of the pants feel for it and I am going to go out on  a limb and say the i5-580M will likely work. No guaranties but I am about 80% confident. 

In fact if you put your motherboard part number in Partsurfer it lists every model it was used in and I see that it can actually accept an i7-720QM and I found one where it was running an i5-430M.

Models using your motherboard

I did not go through each and every one but if I could find one with the i5-580M my confidence would go up to 100%. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer.  I searched through most of these, but did not find one that specifically mentioned the i5-580M.   I have an i5-580M in hand and am inclinded to give it a try based on your advice, but since it is a K-0 stepping model, thought I should apply the BIOS update list on this support site before attepting the CPU upgrade.  However, after applying the BIOS update (see below) a couple times, the CPU-Z is still reporting the BIOS is at v F.1C (not F.1CA) with a release date of 5/17/2010.  Any thoughts on why the BIOS doesn't appear to be updating?  Do you concur that I should be running v F.1CA before attempting the CPU upgrade?

Thanks

Released:
2010-06-11
File name:
sp48953.exe [1/1, 3.54M]
Version
F.1C A

Fix/Enhancement
Adds BIOS support for the Intel I3-350, I5-520, I5-540, and I7-620 K-O Stepping Processors.
HP Recommended

Please ignore previous question - I was able to find a newer version of the BIOS, vF.1D, and install it succesfully from here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/595505-current-hp-pavilion-bios-releases.html

HP Recommended

Please let us know how it goes

HP Recommended

HP Pavillion DV6-2155DX with motherboard 580978-001 successfully upgraded from Core i3-330M to Core i5-580M by applying BIOS v F.1D found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebo​oks/595505-current-hp-pavilion-bios-releases.html

CPU-Z now reports:

CPU-Z5.jpgCPU-Z4.jpg

Thanks Huffer for your assistance!

HP Recommended

DV6-2155DX successfully upgraded from Core i3-330M to Core i5-580M by first applying BIOS v F.1D found at the link below:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/595505-current-hp-pavilion-bios-releases.html

CPU-Z now reports:

CPU-Z5.jpg

CPU-Z4.jpg

Thanks Huffer for your assistance!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.