Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

The USB ports to the right side of my laptop (next to the CD drive) can't fit USB 2.0 flash drives? When I first bought this computer, I thought I read there are USB 3.0 ports. I thought 3.0 ports were backwards compatible with 2.0 devices. Unless I am completely mistaken...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sageyufi wrote:

I only have one USB 2.0 port then. The two on the right don't fit the 2.0 thumb drives but they are marked with the USB symbol. If not 2.0, what are these two ports?

The devices in the right are USB 2.0. I suspect you are not paying close enough attention to the orientation of the connector as you fit it to the USB port on your notebook. You will see a flat black plastic part in the port and in the USB device's connector. The flat black plastic part on the port must fit above the flat black plastic part on the device or vice versa  The following image is from the get to know your Windows notebook guide for your notebook. 

dm4.png

The following image is from the Maintenence & Service guide for your notebook PC. If there is no label that says SS then the USB ports are USB 2.0 specification. 

dm4a.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The available ports on your dm4-2055ca notebook are USB 2.0.  USB 3.0 ports will have a label on them that says SS. SS means SuperSpeed and is a USB speed designation.

Here is a link to the specifications.

USB 3.0 ports are downwardly compatible with USB 2.0 thumbdrives. I use them frequently on my loaner Envy 17-3002ea. It has usb 3.0 ports.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I only have one USB 2.0 port then. The two on the right don't fit the 2.0 thumb drives but they are marked with the USB symbol. If not 2.0, what are these two ports?

HP Recommended

@sageyufi wrote:

The devices in the right are USB 2.0. I suspect you are not paying close enough attention to the orientation of the connector as you fit it to the USB port on your notebook. You will see a flat black plastic part in the port and in the USB device's connector. The flat black plastic part on the port must fit above the flat black plastic part on the device or vice versa  The following image is from the get to know your Windows notebook guide for your notebook. 

dm4.png

The following image is from the Maintenence & Service guide for your notebook PC. If there is no label that says SS then the USB ports are USB 2.0 specification. 

dm4a.png

HP Recommended

After much time observing and test insertion of flash drives, I found the angle to be slightly different with the ports on the right side compared to the left side. They were just very tight to fit.

HP Recommended

I have an HP 15 series Notebook.  I thought that my flash/thumb drives wouldn't fit the ports on the right side but they do. I didn't want to force them, but after reading the reply posted I tried again.  It's a tight fit and they must be inserted at a slight angle, at least on my computer.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.