Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 13 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I have a HP Pavillion 13 x360 and I do have an occuring issue with my laptop.

When I leave my PC Idle for more a few minutes the dislay turns off although the PC is still running.

(power light is on and could hear the fan running).

Then when I want to turn it back on I try to touch the screen, press random keys or click the touch pad and none of it works so I am forced to turn off the power by pressing and holding the button and turning it back on by pressing the power  button.

How can I fix this as I tried going into control panel and changing the setting for (change what the power buttons do or when I close the lid) as none of this seems to work or fix the solution.

Please let me know whats your thoughts as I do want to fix this.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @cengiz2187,

A warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I understand that you require assistance regarding sleep and wake up issues with the computer. I will be delighted to assist you with this.

Spectacular troubleshooting, superb description and splendid analysis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued Hp customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a windows or software update? Do you remember?
  • Did you try to update the windows and the graphics card drivers?
  • Please let me know the complete  model# of the unit

For a start please follow the steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935

Please follow the all the steps from these options “The computer does not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode” and also the step to disable Hybrid sleep. This should do the trick for you. There is an associated video that will throw an insight.

Also please update the bios, chipset and graphics card drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions. Please ensure that the power plan is set to defaults or recommended. 

Finally, if it still does not resolve the issue please perform these steps: Then perform these steps to see if it gets resolved:

• Go to Control Panel,  then click Power Options.
  • From the Select a power plan page, click Choose what the power buttons do from the list on the left panel.
  • On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page, you then have the option of choosing what happens when you:
  • press the power button
  • press the sleep button
  • When I close the lid- select the sleep option (not shutdown or hibernate)
  • Now check again.

To change the power plan to being a balanced one please check this link out: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

and follow the steps in this option “Changing a power plan”

• Please note: when the computer is in sleep mode and you are away for a long time, the power button on the notebook is designed in such a way to wake it up by just pressing it once. This should also be tried as a solution.
    Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @cengiz2187,

A warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I understand that you require assistance regarding sleep and wake up issues with the computer. I will be delighted to assist you with this.

Spectacular troubleshooting, superb description and splendid analysis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued Hp customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a windows or software update? Do you remember?
  • Did you try to update the windows and the graphics card drivers?
  • Please let me know the complete  model# of the unit

For a start please follow the steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935

Please follow the all the steps from these options “The computer does not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode” and also the step to disable Hybrid sleep. This should do the trick for you. There is an associated video that will throw an insight.

Also please update the bios, chipset and graphics card drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions. Please ensure that the power plan is set to defaults or recommended. 

Finally, if it still does not resolve the issue please perform these steps: Then perform these steps to see if it gets resolved:

• Go to Control Panel,  then click Power Options.
  • From the Select a power plan page, click Choose what the power buttons do from the list on the left panel.
  • On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page, you then have the option of choosing what happens when you:
  • press the power button
  • press the sleep button
  • When I close the lid- select the sleep option (not shutdown or hibernate)
  • Now check again.

To change the power plan to being a balanced one please check this link out: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

and follow the steps in this option “Changing a power plan”

• Please note: when the computer is in sleep mode and you are away for a long time, the power button on the notebook is designed in such a way to wake it up by just pressing it once. This should also be tried as a solution.
    Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI David,

You've helped me solve the issue!

Thank you very much for providing me with the link to follow the step by step instructions.

I believe the inception of the issue occured when I got an update from windows 8 to 10.

Since then I've noticed anomalous activity such as the mouse not detected unless reseting its properties etc.

I've fixed the little issues on my own and hope they do not come back although with your help I got the major issue solved.

I write this email with great gratitude as you've saved me time and money to get help from geek squad or something and honestly my sanity 🙂

Definitely not fun to come back to an idle computer only to restart it and lose all of the work I've been working on.

I am glad you've helped!

Enjoy your weekend!

Regards,

Cengiz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.