Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello,

Your ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I went through this exact experience.  HP actually released the specs stating that you could infact upgrade to 16 gigs(I have a copy).  I purchased 2 separate kits of ram (I assumed the first kit was DOA).

After hours of phone calls with support and upgrading bios etc, I was informed that HP changed the spec, and that I was looking at an "old" one.  In the new spec, it says max ram supported is 8gigs.  The only thing they offered me was the ability to trade my laptop in (through the standard trade in - which is a third party).

So now, my 3 month old laptop can't do the job I purchased it for, and HP isn't standing by the fact they they published false specs, plus I'm out the shipping for both sets of ram.

It's a shame that HP won't stand by their products and their mistakes - lesson learned, the next time, I'll buy a lenevo.

HP Recommended

Hi  Jchubbert,

Could share the copy of specs that stating that you could infact upgrade to 16 gigs?

WBR

Danil Kolesnyk

HP Recommended

For me, the upgrade to 16GB was the answer to the question:  "Why was my HP4540s working fine with WIN7 but when I upgraded to 8.0 and 8.1 the machine would not sometimes take HOURS to boot up, never faster than 2 HOURS to boot up?"

To reach this answer, it took literally weeks of chatting with one HP rep after another, each of whom required me to start at the beginning and to recite the entire history of my issue.  They had me reformat my hard drive even though there were no errors found by their bios diagnostic program.  The suspected that the original win8 upgrade cds (that came with the purchase of the system) were defective.  They sent new ones which were for Win8 rather than Win8Pro.   Then they sent me another set of new WIN8 cds to re-upgrade from 7 to 8.  Nothing is solved so far.  Then they had me reformat again and change from MBR to GPT partitions.   That reformatting process took over 21 hours to flow to completion. Then we reinstalled Win8 again.  No improvement again.    The HP Chat reps asked me to run the bios tests on the memory (which found no errors)  but never asked me how much memory was installed.  Then they started blaming my HD again.  ReRan all the tests, and again found no errors on the HD.  Did I mention how long it takes to test a 2TB HD?  Hours and Hours.   Then they offered to test the machine if I would ship it to them and pay a fee, or they said I could take it to a local authorized repair shop.  They gave me a website link where I could find local authorized repair shops.  I found three and called them all.  All were not really local, i.e. 20 to 50 miles from my home.  Each of these shops refused my business because they did not want to work with individual computer owners.....  unless I was a business with multiple systems.  Well I am just me.  So my issue is still not resolved.  

Finally, I paid a local noname computer shop $125 to install win8 on my system.  He could not get the system to boot.  Way to Sloooooooow he said. He asked me for my original 8gig memory chips and replaced the 16gigs I had paid $150 for.  Problem finally solved, no thanks to HP.   System boots Win8.1 from cold start to metro screen in 15 seconds.   Just like it is supposed to do.   HP could have done the same thing for a fee plus two-way shipping but they were apparently tired of my persistence in reopening their chat sessions which they got paid to close quickly.  Their referrals were worthless and led to my loss of confidence in HP.  When this system finally croaks, I will find a different vendor for my next machine.  Now, I am still very pleased with my HP4540s which is reliable and fast.  But I cannot forget how long it took to get to this point.

HP Recommended

I see you state 16GB ram , but in http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03349709 it states 8GB max. And with all the people complaining that the 4540s slows to a crawl when installing 16GB ram do you care to add to your statement. Is there some correlation between CPU and RAM combo that makes this work or fail?

HP Recommended

Part # for set of HDD kit? And is there a place to plug in the cable?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.