Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I will buy a ProBook 4540s (Intel i5) very soon.

At a lot of places on the Internet, it had been mentioned that it supports upto 8GB DDR3 RAM. But, on a details page at HP site, it had been mentioned as "16GB". So, I'm a bit confused here, though I guess that it might be 8GB. I want to know about this for sure.

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the link given below might help you. Unit support 16GB Memory it has 2 slots Each slot can hold 8GB stick.

HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC - specifications

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the link given below might help you. Unit support 16GB Memory it has 2 slots Each slot can hold 8GB stick.

HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC - specifications

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply. Glad to know that it supports up to 16GB. 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes, it does supports 16 Gigs, however the performance degrades as the 16 Gigs are enabled. I downloaded and upgraded the latest BIOS sp60202 and still having performance issues. Is there a new BIOS update or something we can do.

Thanks

David

HP Recommended

@davegu1: Thanks for the reply. 🙂

I'm wondering, if it supports upto 16GB, how there could be a decrease in performance after upgrading RAM. Explanation from anyone would be great.

HP Recommended

Any new experience with 16gb? bios/other solutions?

cheers

HP Recommended

@thilina1024.

Yes, there is a degraded performance after you put the two 8 Gig sims. Upgraded the latest microcode for the laptop, memory, drive, etc. And the 16 Gig is still not responding as fast as when I have 8 Gig.

David

HP Recommended

same issue about Probook 4441s with i7. If the ram was upgrade to more than 8G, the CPU and GPU seem to be frozen and performance slow doan.

HP Recommended

really hope HP give us the solution to fix the issue..

HP Recommended

if it's in Bios we can have hope, but maybe it is something with HP policy, 4540s with 16GB ram would have been PERFECT machine... at least for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.