Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY dv7-7390el
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello everybody. 

I want to put into my laptop (ENVY dv7-7390el) a 2nd hard drive. It is a Samsung SSD (model: 850 PRO-512GB).

However, even if I have firstly done the initializing with USB cable because it is new, when I link the new component using its cable to the motherboard 2nd HDD port and I switch on the laptop it does not detect anything

Anyway I have also tried to put a different device, another HDD, but the problem is the same, It is nowhere.

How I can do to find it and then to use it? Could someone help me?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK I had a very similar slightly newer model, the Envy 17t-j000 series and also got a second caddy from newmodeus.com. It ultimately worked fine but the mounting point for the ribbon cable was very small and it took 2 or 3 tries to get the system to recognize the second hard drive. You have to seat the cable "just so". If you did not get it from hp or newmodeus.com I would be skeptical of the cable. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Where did you get the 2d hard drive caddy and cable?

HP Recommended

Not from HP store but from an another shopping website.

HP Recommended

OK I had a very similar slightly newer model, the Envy 17t-j000 series and also got a second caddy from newmodeus.com. It ultimately worked fine but the mounting point for the ribbon cable was very small and it took 2 or 3 tries to get the system to recognize the second hard drive. You have to seat the cable "just so". If you did not get it from hp or newmodeus.com I would be skeptical of the cable. 

HP Recommended

Yes initially I thought that the problem was the cable. In fact I have just tried to swap the 2nd cable with the 1st one and the laptop works perfectly. Now I am typing with the 2nd cable linking the 1st hdd.

So I am very confused, I don't know what I have to do. Do you suggest me to put the cable in the socket several times?

HP Recommended

Hopefully not. Just make sure it is inserted straight and all the way back into the socket. There are tiny little traces on the cable and they have to line up perfectly with connectors in the socket. If your aftermarket cable works in the first port I think we can say the cable you bought is not bad. Does the original first cable work in the second port?

HP Recommended

Well, last night I tried again behind your suggestion, I put another time the SSD. When I swichted on the laptop there was the same problem: not found. Then I reboot the OS and when I looked for it finally I have found it. 

So, I can say that the problem has been solved, fortunately.

Thanks very much for your attention and your help.

HP Recommended

You might mark the answer that helped as the "Solution" so others can find it easier. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.