Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My question is regarding RAM upgrade.

I have a HP 15 Notebook PC. Following are the details

Processor : AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon (TM) HD Graphics 1GHz

RAM: 2GB

The performance of the laptop is very slow. The RAM utilizatin is almost full full even before opening any applicatino. I would like to know whether it is possible to upgrade the RAM and will it solve the performance issue.

I want to upgrade with 8 GB RAM and will it be compatible with the processor.

Also, please suggest an alternate options to improve the performance of the laptop.

Thank You

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It would help to have the full model number so we could find the right Manual and be 100% sure of the specs of the hardware. However, as far as I know all HP laptops with an AMD E1 CPU and 2 gigs of RAM have the processor and the memory soldered to the motherboard. This effectively prevents cost-effective upgrade. As long as the computer has the AMD E-1 processor memory cannot help very much, even if you could upgrade. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have the full model number

Fn + Esc gives me the following product number. 

F7P91PA#ACJ

using msinfo2 command it shows

System model as HP 15 Notebook PC

System SKU as product number

Hope this information is what you were looking for.

As memory upgrade may not be a feasible option with the board design and given processor, is there any other way to improve the performance of the laptop.

HP Recommended

15-g004au is the model. 

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See p. 65. The processor is soldered but the memory is removeable and upgradeable to 8 gigs. Your model has a single slot. Memory upgrade requires removal of the motherboard. 

The clock speed of the laptop is 1 ghz with the E1 APU. Cell phones these days are 1.3 or 1.5 ghz. Upgrading to 8 gigs RAM will help some, but not as much as you hope. It's a lot of work and possibly a fair amount of expense for a small potential upgrade. 

Post back if you want any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.