Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion g150cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wanting to upgrade the RAM on my laptop.  It came with 6GB.  What is the max it can hold?  Is this something I can upgrade myself?  I have upgraded memory on a Dell laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From the Manual:

Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable DDR3L-1600-MHz Single Channel Support DDR3L-1600-MHz Dual Channel Support Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

Download Manual

So, the good news is you can increase RAM to 16 gigs or 2 x 8 gig modules. Bad news is it is not as easy as that Dell laptop likely was. No easy access panel. See page 41. You have to remove the whole back panel. It is not authorized for end users to do but also it is not as difficult as some models that require motherboard removal to upgrade RAM. You will put the warranty in jeopardy so be aware of that. 

You need 2 of these:

8-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 693374-005

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

From the Manual:

Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable DDR3L-1600-MHz Single Channel Support DDR3L-1600-MHz Dual Channel Support Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

Download Manual

So, the good news is you can increase RAM to 16 gigs or 2 x 8 gig modules. Bad news is it is not as easy as that Dell laptop likely was. No easy access panel. See page 41. You have to remove the whole back panel. It is not authorized for end users to do but also it is not as difficult as some models that require motherboard removal to upgrade RAM. You will put the warranty in jeopardy so be aware of that. 

You need 2 of these:

8-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 693374-005

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for you help and insight on this.  I will take all of this into consideration.  Again, your help is every much appreciated!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.