Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, Paul -

I got the impression from reading the bits & pieces scattered around the Crucial website that 1.35V RAM can be run at 1.5V without damage.

I got the impression from forums and such that some motherboards can recognize 1.35V RAM and adjust automagically. 

Apparently some more fully-featured BIOS'es (I'm guessing desktop "gamer" or performance boards mostly) allow you to adjust the voltage yourself.

I coulda missed it, and I think I'll go back and look again, but I saw no option for adjusting the RAM voltage, nor any report for RAM voltage on the 'system summary' page.

My WAG at this point is that the RAM is being run at 1.5V.  And that's fine, although 1.35V would be cooler, longer battery life, etc.

HP Recommended

There are definitely no settings in the BIOS of any HP business notebook that allows you to change the voltage of the memory or processor.

See if running the free PC wizard shows anything.

That free tool shows all kind of data.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

Paul

HP Recommended

Hey, that was a great suggestion.

That application sure digs up a lot of info!  The RAM is running at 1.5V. 

Oh, well.  You know how when you make an improvement you want it to be perfect, instead of 95%.  The laptop's faster and I'm glad I did it.  Having it run at 1.35V would be the icing on the cake. 

Thanks for your help, Paul, and a Kudo to you if I can figure out which button to push...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Definitely an improvement to run 8 GB of memory over anything less.

I don't believe the extra .15V isn't going to make that huge of a difference.

Sure it would have been nice, but as they say..."it is what it is."

Best regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

here is my Laptop's RAM info -

Memory slots
	Total memory slots	2
	Used memory slots	2
	Free memory slots	0
Memory
	Type	DDR3
	Size	6144 MBytes
	Channels #	Dual
	DRAM Frequency	665.3 MHz
	CAS# Latency (CL)	9 clocks
	RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)	9 clocks
	RAS# Precharge (tRP)	9 clocks
	Cycle Time (tRAS)	24 clocks
	Command Rate (CR)	1T

Slot #1
	Type	DDR3
	Size	4096 MBytes
	Manufacturer	Apacer Technology
	Max Bandwidth	PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
	Part Number	78.B2GC9.9K10C    
	Serial Number	02011223
	Week/year	22 / 11
	SPD Ext.	EPP
		JEDEC #4
			Frequency	685.7 MHz
			CAS# Latency	9.0
			RAS# To CAS#	9
			RAS# Precharge	9
			tRAS	25
			tRC	34
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #3
			Frequency	609.5 MHz
			CAS# Latency	8.0
			RAS# To CAS#	8
			RAS# Precharge	8
			tRAS	22
			tRC	30
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #2
			Frequency	533.3 MHz
			CAS# Latency	7.0
			RAS# To CAS#	7
			RAS# Precharge	7
			tRAS	20
			tRC	27
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #1
			Frequency	457.1 MHz
			CAS# Latency	6.0
			RAS# To CAS#	6
			RAS# Precharge	6
			tRAS	17
			tRC	23
			Voltage	1.500 V

Slot #2
	Type	DDR3
	Size	2048 MBytes
	Manufacturer	Samsung
	Max Bandwidth	PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
	Part Number	M471B5773CHS-CH9  
	Serial Number	671A71EA
	Week/year	07 / 11
	SPD Ext.	EPP
		JEDEC #5
			Frequency	685.7 MHz
			CAS# Latency	9.0
			RAS# To CAS#	9
			RAS# Precharge	9
			tRAS	25
			tRC	34
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #4
			Frequency	609.5 MHz
			CAS# Latency	8.0
			RAS# To CAS#	8
			RAS# Precharge	8
			tRAS	22
			tRC	30
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #3
			Frequency	533.3 MHz
			CAS# Latency	7.0
			RAS# To CAS#	7
			RAS# Precharge	7
			tRAS	20
			tRC	27
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #2
			Frequency	457.1 MHz
			CAS# Latency	6.0
			RAS# To CAS#	6
			RAS# Precharge	6
			tRAS	17
			tRC	23
			Voltage	1.500 V
		JEDEC #1
			Frequency	381.0 MHz
			CAS# Latency	5.0
			RAS# To CAS#	5
			RAS# Precharge	5
			tRAS	14
			tRC	19
			Voltage	1.500 V

My question is why there is 1 more JEDEC in slot#2?

HP Recommended
I just tried to install 8 gb (2x4 gigs) and the computer would not start up. what went wrong?
HP Recommended

@robgoldstein wrote:
I just tried to install 8 gb (2x4 gigs) and the computer would not start up. what went wrong?

rob, if you want help you gotta meet us halfway.

This thread was about laptops but you used the word 'computer'.  Are we even talking a laptop?  What's the exact model of your - um - computer?

Did you turn everything off, unplug the PC, and take precautions to address static electricity?  RAM is touchy about that.

What exactly do you mean it wouldn't start up?  Do you mean you got nothing at all?  No BIOS, no beep codes, nothing?  No fans spinning up?  If you had no RAM in the PC at all and started it you would at least get a beep code from BIOS.  Incorrect RAM should also trigger a beep code.  Is it plugged in?

How careful were you about buying the right RAM?  If this is a desktop, did you get the sticks in the right slots? 

I mighta said try one stick, try the other stick, run memtest, etc. but it would be better to wait for you to fill in some of the blanks.

HP Recommended

Hi to all,

I'm new on the HP forum and I've a little question.

According to my research on the forum, it looks like the RAM model as to be as follows (for a HP ProBook 4520s):

• Module Size: 4GB
  • Package: 204-pin SODIMM
  • Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
  • Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

(See. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/RAM-upgrade-ProBook-4520s/td-p/1037893)

Thus, is this one compatible with your recommendations ?

http://www.exportprive.fr/fr/pc-bureau/14340-samsung-barette-de-memoire-ddr3-sdram-1333mhz-pc3-10600...,

Thanks for your help.

Ph. DENIS

HP Recommended

Your link took me to desktop memory.  That ain't gonna work in a notebook.  It has nothing to do with the specs; notebook RAM and desktop RAM are different shapes.  You cannot hammer a piece of desktop RAM into a notebook.  Well, you could, with a hammer, but it would never work again.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the stupid mistake, I found a memory slot without thinking about the size.

Taking into account this cleaver remark, I've found the following one:

http://www.exportprive.fr/fr/17705-kingston-barette-memoire-pc-portable-valueram-so-dimm-4go-ddr3-pc...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.