Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Mini 1030nr.  Want to replace the keyboard.  The instructions say Release the zero insertion force (ZIF) connector.

Dont know how.  Another posr  for a different computers said something about releasing the side tabs.  Please I need help

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

This one is tough. It actually hinges up and you have to pop it loose and let it come up so you can get the ribbon cable out. The zif connector is very fragile. Try not to completely remove it just hinge it up lifting the back of it and leave the front in place.

Youtube 1

Youtube 2

Look carefully on video 2. The tech pops the zif cable up and you can see it in the hinged open position while he is doing other stuff.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I got the job done and unplugged the cmos battery for 12 minutes and all that did was to change the time and date.  The system still wants a password.  Is there any solution to this mess?

HP Recommended

I thought you just wanted to replace the keyboard. Modern security on a netbook/laptop means it takes more than removing the clock battery to reset the passwords. You would have to solder a new BIOS chip to the motherboard. When a good used netbook goes for $160 on eBay it makes no sense to put a ton of effort into it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Huffer is right.

There is no procedure in your service manual to clear the BIOS password.

So, that method of reset probably won't work. 

However,  before you part out the notebook (because that is all it is probably good for, except the motherboard), when you use this method of password clearing, it is essential that not only do you remove the CMOS battery, you need to remove the main battery, and you should leave the CMOS battery out for at least 30 minutes before reassembling the notebook.

Also, you must NOT attach any batteries when starting the notebook, only the A/C power should be connected. If you can start the PC w/o even having to put the CMOS battery back in, I would try it that way.

If you get prompted for a password after doing all of the above then, you are completely out of luck.

Paul

HP Recommended

Okay, I've found some helpful links for other's in the same dilemma.

Start with this one for how to fix the curse of the zif connector:

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2009/11/17/fix-broken-keyboard-connector-on-laptop-motherboard...

Note: If you look closely at your connector, you will see that there are two (2) rows of pins. The ribbon cable goes between them. I also, since the ribbon cable is very short (grrr), positioned the cable and then taped it in place. placing the tape as far back on the cable as allowed, so that I could have easy and free access to the connector. Also, the cable on the keyboard side is attached with an elastic glue. I GENTLY pulled the cable off of the the keyboard metal backing a LITTLE bit. This gave me more slack to work with.

And for those who are thinking of doing it themselves, go here first:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-keyboard-in-hp-mini-1033cl-notebook/

Above is is not for the dv7, but pay attention to the part where the removal/opening of the zif connector is discussed. It may save you some aggravation.

The alternative is to have HP tech do it for between $250-$350. OUCH!

As for the BIOS/System password, do a search for "Ultimate Boot CD" (UBCD).

Maybe even check out Eddie Maintenance CD.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your caution,Huffrer,  on the fragility of the zif connector. Too bad this same caution wasn't noted in some of the other topics on replacing HP Laptop keyboards - I broke my zif connector. Grrr!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the Tip! I am working on my DV7 and the manual only says "remove ZIF connector"... Duh, glad I found your post before exerting serious presure!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.