Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Linux

I had to replace the hard drive in my HP Pavillion g7 - 2269wm. I purchased and installed a 500 GB Samsung 750 EVO. It was one of the recommended ssd's. The fan has not worked since then. Is it possible that I screwed up something OR is the fan on a thermostat and it should turn itself on when the temp gets hight enough?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

An SSD does run a bit cooler and replacing the hard drive with SSD should not get you anywhere near the fan so it is not really possible you unplugged it or anything. This may be just a coincidence. Try doing something intense like playing a game or watching a full screen youtube video for a few minutes and if the fan does not kick on there is something wrong with the fan. The SSD could not really be the cause of that. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

An SSD does run a bit cooler and replacing the hard drive with SSD should not get you anywhere near the fan so it is not really possible you unplugged it or anything. This may be just a coincidence. Try doing something intense like playing a game or watching a full screen youtube video for a few minutes and if the fan does not kick on there is something wrong with the fan. The SSD could not really be the cause of that. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. The fan use to run all of the time. It seems odd that it should quit for no reason. Wondering if the Pavillion g7 - 2269wm has coolSense and IF it works in Linux. I will try your advice and try to stress the system. At what point, temp, should I become more concerned? 50C or 60C or...

HP Recommended

More like 85 or 90...Coolsense will not work in Linux, although recent Linux kernels have very good power management. However, Linux power management has always been an issue. Battery life is generally a bit less in Linux than in Windows for example. The fan is controlled at the BIOS level and by temperature so if the fan never kicks on it is a big problem. 

HP Recommended

I stressed this unit by running the following concurrently; Pale moon (4 tabs), Chrome (7tabs), audacity with a 230 MB file, Blusfish editor(3 files loaded), gedit with 4files, hexchat, 4k video downloader, 4k video to mp3 downloader, thunderbird mail, ticker rrs feed reader and gimp with 3 graphics loaded. Temp never got above 42C.  I'm believing that I do not have a problem, but; will continus to monitor the situstion. Thanks for your assistance...

HP Recommended

I stressed this unit by running the following concurrently; Pale moon (4 tabs), Chrome (7 tabs), audacity with a 320 MB file, Blusfish editor(3 files loaded), gedit with 4 files, hexchat, 4k video downloader downloading, 4k video to mp3 downloader downloading, thunderbird mail, ticker rrs feed reader and gimp with 3 graphics loaded. Temp never got above 42C.  I'm believing that I do not have a problem, but; will continus to monitor the situstion. Thanks for your assistance...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.