Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14-r015tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all experts out there.

Previously, I have posted about my Wi-Fi problem here. I finally just get my laptop to the HP Service Center.

They told me that the Wi-Fi card I have (Ralink RT3290) is broken. They want to change it for me but it cost me a lot.

So I'm thinking to replace it myself. The problem is, does my laptop (HP 14-r015tx) has BIOS "whitelisting" for Wi-Fi modules? If yes, what cards I can use to replace the current Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn WLAN card? If no, what cards I can use to replace the current Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn and where to buy?

Here are some about my PC:

HP 14 Notebook PC, 14-r015tx

Intel Core i5-4210U 3MB L3 Cache

2x 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 820M 2GB GDDR3

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (originally OEM)

Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0

Realtek Ethernet

Thank you kindly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no whitelisting but you are tackling a pretty difficult job here. This is the Manual:

Service Manual

See p. 71. The list of original HP components is there on p. 71. I am concerned that there may only be 1 wireless antenna provided which is going to make it impossible to use any of the really high-end wi-fi cards on the market. 

Since your module is both Bluetooth and WiFi I assume you want a card that can do both so your only choice is to get an exact replacement for what you had or get the Realtek. Realtek or Ralink is a choice with no good answer. 

Perhaps the best thing to do if you really want to do this on your own is to open it and see if there is one antenna or 2. Once we figure that out we can advise the best module for you to buy. Amazon has them and you can get quick shipping so do not need to leave it apart for long. 

Post back for any more help. If you want to just go forward here is the Realtek card. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sparepart-RT8723BE-802-11bgn-Bluetooth-753077-005/dp/B016UE4IHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

And the Ralink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-11-N-Series-Wireless-WiFi-Card-690020-005-Tested-/262453868807?h...

From the price you can see sellers pretty much give these away since nobody really wants one. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

There is no whitelisting but you are tackling a pretty difficult job here. This is the Manual:

Service Manual

See p. 71. The list of original HP components is there on p. 71. I am concerned that there may only be 1 wireless antenna provided which is going to make it impossible to use any of the really high-end wi-fi cards on the market. 

Since your module is both Bluetooth and WiFi I assume you want a card that can do both so your only choice is to get an exact replacement for what you had or get the Realtek. Realtek or Ralink is a choice with no good answer. 

Perhaps the best thing to do if you really want to do this on your own is to open it and see if there is one antenna or 2. Once we figure that out we can advise the best module for you to buy. Amazon has them and you can get quick shipping so do not need to leave it apart for long. 

Post back for any more help. If you want to just go forward here is the Realtek card. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sparepart-RT8723BE-802-11bgn-Bluetooth-753077-005/dp/B016UE4IHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

And the Ralink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-11-N-Series-Wireless-WiFi-Card-690020-005-Tested-/262453868807?h...

From the price you can see sellers pretty much give these away since nobody really wants one. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer

Thank you for the quick response. On the page 71, it says Ralink RT3290LE. Mine is RT3290. Is it simply the same?

The 2nd link you provided for me, the Ralink one, is it RT3290? From the picture on eBay doesn't suggest so.

HP Recommended

@Huffer

Sorry, the 2nd link you provided for me on eBay is RT3290LE. I saw the on the back it has SPS: 690020-005 which is the same as the Spare Part number on page 71.

Now, on page 71, the listed Wi-Fi cards are the Wi-Fi cards that are used only in HP 14 Notebook PCs, Compaq 14 and the laptops that are mentioned on the first page of the document, right?

If so, then the product you suggested me, the 2nd one has the same service code as the one in the page 71. Doesn't it simply mean that this is the exact same module that is currently installed on my laptop?

If so, then my card should have 2 antennas, right?

NB: What is the difference between 1 and 2 antennas, anyway?

Thank you, expert.

HP Recommended

@Huffer

I have looked in the HP PartSurfer website and it says that my Ralink with the part number 690020-005 is no longer supported. It asks me to order a replacement with code 753077-005 which is the Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter.

Will this fit in my laptop?

HP Recommended

Kind of lost track of the questions here. The parts I linked are official HP Parts and will work fine. In fact, since there is no whitelist you can use any wireless adapter with the same physical form factor. 

This is half-height mini-pcie and from the pictures I have seen of the other side it only has one antenna "nipple" so it is specifically made to have one antenna 

The difference between one antenna and two is the quality of the reception. If your laptop has only one antenna which is very probable, you can only use cards designed to work in the 2.4 ghz wireless band. To have dual band you need 2 antennae and the better cards are dual band. 

If by some chance your laptop does have 2 antennae, (and you can't tell without opening it up, then you can install any card on the market of the same form factor and you have much, much better options. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer

Thank you for replying.

But, my card is Ralink RT3290, and the SPS is 690020-005, and everywhere on the internet shows the picture of the PCI card with 2 antennas. Doesn't this simply mean that my laptop has this exact Wi-Fi card, and thus having 2 antennas as well?

And, if it's actually true that Ralink 690020-005 has 2 antennas, while Realtek 753077-005 has only 1 antenna, how come on HP PartSurfer, when I searched for Ralink 690020-005, HP PartSurfer says that they no longer supply this card, and asks me to order Realtek 753077-005 as a replacement? Here is the page on HP PartSurfer that says "Part 690020-005 is no longer supplied. Please order the replacement, 753077-005".

Thank you very much, expert.

HP Recommended

I will say again. No way to tell how many antennae you have (as opposed to antennae nipples or posts on the card) without opening the laptop. HP will install 2 antennae leads or just 1 antennae lead even when the wireless card has 2 nipples. There can also be a one nipple card in a laptop with 2 leads. They just put a plastic cap on the second lead. 

So, please I have actually taken these things apart and I understand how it works. You can get a straight replacement for your Ralink card from a third party site like amazon.com. HP may not carry it any more but it will work. You can also, as an alternative, install the Realtek. Neither the Ralink or the Realtek is a good piece of equipment. If, but only if, your laptop has 2 antennae leads or wires, you can install any of a number of much better wireless cards.

So you cannot avoid taking the laptop apart in order to best figure out your options. If it is something you don't feel up to doing (which I understand fully and appreciate) then you need to take it to a shop.  

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for your advice. It solved my problem.

One point, the listing for the RT3290 card on amazon mentions a note,

"If use WIN8, WIN8.1, WIN10 when could not search the wifi signal, please use the adhesive plaster to stick the twentieth finger of the wifi card to obtain the wifi signal"

Could you please help understand this point. Stick the 20th finger to what ?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I think it is just bad translation from another language. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.