Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x2 - 12
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Spectre x2 12 detachable is capable of charging through the two Type-C USB ports. The HP Type-C USB adapter charges using these two ports. However, no third party Type-C USB chargers (even with Power Delivery specifications) will charge this device. Meaning, there is no benefit to charging via Type-C since this device can only use the HP adapter charger.

Another HP device that charges via Type-C USB, the Spectre 13.3 (HP Spectre 13-v151nr), received a BIOS update (F.26 Rev.A; sp77130.exe) in August that allows charging through third party Type C-USB chargers like Google and Apple chargers (see below in yellow;"- Expands support for the USB Type-C adaptor.").

I am requesting a similar Type-C charging adapter BIOS update for the HP Spectre x2 - 12-a008nr, to remove the limitation described above. Not allowing to be charged through Type C chargers manufactured by Google and Apple is absurd. If you would please,  use the Power Delivery specifications that these reputable vendors use, and that you also used for the 13.3, and allow this device to truly be fantastic. Thank you!

Below is the notes from the BIOS update for the 13.3:

Fixes

- Fixes an issue where certain keys generate the incorrect character when the keyboard on the system is used.
- Fixes an issue where certain keys do not generate a character when the keyboard on the system is used.

- Expands support for the USB Type-C adaptor. 
- Provides enhanced BIOS password security.
- Provides enhanced panel brightness when the panel is in power saving mode.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-Spectre-13-v000-Notebook-PC/10862121/mo...

Below are links from websites describing the updated BIOS of the 13.3 that allows third party charging:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hps-usb-c-charger-lock-crisis-explained.69523/page-5#post-48...

http://gtrusted.com/review/hp-spectre-13-3-now-works-with-ivoler-75w-usb-type-c-charger-using-usb-po...

Update 5/11/2017

-Both the case Manager and the 'Escalation Management Team' have gone dark. The last two email(s) asking for an update with timeline  at the end of March has gone unanswered (one to the Case Manager and one to the 'Management Team').

-At the present moment, I have no  additional information to share with the larger audience here aside from the contact information I have acquired. Below are the two emails and the case number. If folks want to contact these parities to hopefully reignite concern, please feel free.

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

This is a huge issue for myself as well. I'm generally happy with my Spectre x2, but when asked by numerous colleagues and friends I have always caveated my recommendation with the fact that the charging ports are locked to HP proprietary USB C chargers via DRM.

This has proven to be a huge downside for them as well, and I know for a fact it has cost HP a number of sales just from my personal network.

HP Recommended

yeah i need this for my x2 a008nr

HP Recommended

Yes, please update the bios so that we can use different chargers. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for so clearly outlining this request.  I need this too for my new Kaby Lake HP Spectre 13 laptop!

HP Recommended

I too would like to see a BIOS update that allows USB-C charging with 3rd party devices for the Spectre x2. Thank you.

HP Recommended

I did receive a Private Message from HP Support on this issue. I will let you all know what, if any, updates I am provided.

HP Recommended

As a current owner of a Spectre X2 12, I'd also like to add my request for such a feature. The whole point of moving to USB-C for charging is that it's an open standard. I shouldn't be left to continue to carry multiple chargers with me, even though they all connect via USB type C.

HP Recommended

Since i am owner of x2 a008nr - would be more than happy to get upgraded bios !!!!

Thank You ! 

HP Recommended

+1. I am going to return this to Amazon in the next few days unless someone from hp promises this update. This is not an issue about chargers but about the future. USB Type C accessories are just starting to come out. They will only get better. I don't want to be artificially restricted because I was an early adopter and HP was being overly cautious.

Imagine if they were like this with USB 2.0 devices came out. Not giving power to them. The machine would be totally useless now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.